Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a P4 3.0GHz Processor, 512MB DDR400 RAM, Radeon 9800 pro on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe.

I plugged the stuff in. And turned it on. It worked fine. So I started installing windows 98. So the hard drive began to format itself and then it ran scandisk. Then the system froze. So I rebooted. Then the monitor won't show a thing.

Now I'm stuck. Everytime I power the system up, the monitor receives no video signal. And the ASUS POST reporter keeps saying "system failure do to CPU overclocking" even though I'm not over clocking. The manual tells me to adjust the BIOS settings but I can't even adjust the BIOS cuz the system doesn't boot far enough to, and the monitor won't display anything.
I've tried to reset the BIOS with the little CLR CMOS jumper but that hasn't helped either.

I've also booted up without the CPU and the system reports that there's no CPU which is right. I boot w/out the RAM and the system reports no RAM. Which is also right. But whenever both are installed, then it gives me that same overclocking error. PLEASE HELP ME! I'M AT THE END OF MY ROPE!

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI Brian48216!

Already tried to clear CMOS? If not so - right beneath your RAID-connector ( IDE3 ) you'll find a jumper called CLRTC which is default set to 1-2. Set this jumper to 2-3 for about 10 seconds , power off ( complete! cable off from pc! ) power on , reboot and enter BIOS - you'll have to setup your BIOS again . After that I'd recommend a BIOS flash to the latest BIOS software. I'm using 1010d.001 beta bios by the time and am feeling quite alright with it...

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PenDragoN said:
HI Brian48216!

Already tried to clear CMOS? If not so - right beneath your RAID-connector ( IDE3 ) you'll find a jumper called CLRTC which is default set to 1-2. Set this jumper to 2-3 for about 10 seconds , power off ( complete! cable off from pc! ) power on , reboot and enter BIOS - you'll have to setup your BIOS again . After that I'd recommend a BIOS flash to the latest BIOS software. I'm using 1010d.001 beta bios by the time and am feeling quite alright with it...

Greetz
Pen

Yea. I already tried that. Many many times. Regardless the system won't power on correctly. The green light comes on. The fans spin. The Hard drive clicks a little bit, but that's it.

THanks anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm - okay...to my eyes that looks like a BIOS crash or Mobo defect. Change it!
As ASUS tells in the manual - the default settings of BIOS are reloaded when system is restarted after system failure due to overclocking or hardware errors. In your case it ain't like that and also the reset of CMOS didn't bring the effect, so you have to accpt that the most reasonable thing is a BIOS crash (or hardware defect on the board, but thats hard to find out...).
Change the board - that's all I can advise you after what I've heard here.

Greetz
Pen

S

·
0 Posts
Try This

Remove everything off of the motherboard.

Take the motherboard out of the case and lay it on a phone book or something non conductive.

Clear the CMOS.

Re-Install the CPU, Heatsink and Fan.

Hook up the following items only.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the correct header, See manual.

Hook up the the power supply to the motherboard.

Insert one stick of ram.

Insert the video card all the way.

Hook up the monitor.

Hook up power to computer.

Turn on the monitor.

Turn on computer.

You should have video on the monitor.

This sounds like a lot of work but it narrows down the devices to a few.

Try this and post back with the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SPEEDO said:
Try This

Remove everything off of the motherboard.

Take the motherboard out of the case and lay it on a phone book or something non conductive.

Clear the CMOS.

Re-Install the CPU, Heatsink and Fan.

Hook up the following items only.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the correct header, See manual.

Hook up the the power supply to the motherboard.

Insert one stick of ram.

Insert the video card all the way.

Hook up the monitor.

Hook up power to computer.

Turn on the monitor.

Turn on computer.

You should have video on the monitor.

This sounds like a lot of work but it narrows down the devices to a few.

Try this and post back with the results.

Yea.......I've pretty much done that.......
Thanks for the advice though.

Right now I only have 1 stick of RAM, the Radeon, and the CPU installed.

The system has only been running for about an hour and a half tops when formatting the HD. Could the processor have burned out!? PLEASE SAY NO!!!

S

·
0 Posts
How long have you had this motherboard and CPU and did you buy it locally or online? If it were me I would return it pronto.

But one thing does come to mind not that it will help, but was hyperthreading enabled in the bios when you began your load of W98?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as a matter a fact hyperthreading WAS enabled......but I never got past formatting the harddrive. It was just running scandisk when all the trouble started.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm not really sure of this but try disabling hyperthreading and then installing Windows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SUCCESS

Whoever encounters this problem as well....

try moving your ram to B1 as opposed to using A1.

It just happened by accidnet that I moved the RAM for some reason (too lazy to remove the videocard while I was moving the case) and it booted! so if you get hte same problem. Try moving the ram around. It might work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For overclockers’ convenience, ASUS introduced CPU Parameter Recall function, which will automatically return all the settings to default ones, if the system fails to boot. But to our great disappointment, CPU Parameter Recall function doesn’t work in the existing BIOS versions. That is why, if you screwed some settings in the BIOS, press and hold INS key on boot-up and you will access the Setup to correct your mistakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
I reported this problem to ASUS - NO REPLY!

I too ended up with the same problem - that is - unable to get into the BIOS.

I had problems with the OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM - so I bought 2 sticks of Crucial PC3200. The RAM settings were set at 3.0-3-3 and the Crucial worked like a charm. Changed the "Performance Mode" to "Standard" and the Crucial hummed right along. MemTest-86 found no errors and I enjoyed a bandwidth of 2186 unbuffered (4700 buffered). Which isn't shabby.

Now to try setting "Performance Mode" to "Turbo". This is when all hell broke loose. Dead machine. Unable to get into the BIOS. Tried everything - running on 1 stick of RAM, clearing the BIOS manually - to no avail (had BIOS version 1010 Beta at that time).

Now I didn't know about the "Insert" key. But "Delete" sure didn't get me in.

What got me into the BIOS was replacing the Crucial CAS-3 with one of the defective OCZ CAS-2 sticks! Voila! Up and running. Filled in the time, date, etc. (so the clear had worked) - and set the RAM timing to 3.0-3-3 for the Crucial. Turned the machine off & plugged in the 2 sticks of Crucial - all happy again.

However, since I no longer have the 2 sticks of defective OCZ, I am somewhat leery to try to go for that last bit of performance out of the Crucial RAM. Still running with "Performance Mode" "Standard".

I reported the problem to ASUS. What a waste of time. No reply since August 5th.

P.S. I would strongly advise anyone to run MemTest-86 before installing an operating system - for multiple loops. My OCZ became faulty on average 1 in 6 passes - at the high end of the RAM.

I used to swear by Windows 98SE - until I tried Windows XP. I am after STABILITY and PERFORMANCE - in that order of priority. With the P4P800 Deluxe, P4 2.4C and Windows XP - I have just that (unfortunately still with CAS-3 Crucial). I am now on my 3rd set of OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM and hopefully when this one arrives, it will be flawless.

Otherwise, another RMA - this time directly to OCZ in the USA. To date I'm out $25 in shipping charges & still have no working OCZ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: I reported this problem to ASUS - NO REPLY!

dfehlberg said:
I too ended up with the same problem - that is - unable to get into the BIOS.

I had problems with the OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM - so I bought 2 sticks of Crucial PC3200. The RAM settings were set at 3.0-3-3 and the Crucial worked like a charm. Changed the "Performance Mode" to "Standard" and the Crucial hummed right along. MemTest-86 found no errors and I enjoyed a bandwidth of 2186 unbuffered (4700 buffered). Which isn't shabby.

Now to try setting "Performance Mode" to "Turbo". This is when all hell broke loose. Dead machine. Unable to get into the BIOS. Tried everything - running on 1 stick of RAM, clearing the BIOS manually - to no avail (had BIOS version 1010 Beta at that time).

Now I didn't know about the "Insert" key. But "Delete" sure didn't get me in.

What got me into the BIOS was replacing the Crucial CAS-3 with one of the defective OCZ CAS-2 sticks! Voila! Up and running. Filled in the time, date, etc. (so the clear had worked) - and set the RAM timing to 3.0-3-3 for the Crucial. Turned the machine off & plugged in the 2 sticks of Crucial - all happy again.

However, since I no longer have the 2 sticks of defective OCZ, I am somewhat leery to try to go for that last bit of performance out of the Crucial RAM. Still running with "Performance Mode" "Standard".

I reported the problem to ASUS. What a waste of time. No reply since August 5th.

P.S. I would strongly advise anyone to run MemTest-86 before installing an operating system - for multiple loops. My OCZ became faulty on average 1 in 6 passes - at the high end of the RAM.

I used to swear by Windows 98SE - until I tried Windows XP. I am after STABILITY and PERFORMANCE - in that order of priority. With the P4P800 Deluxe, P4 2.4C and Windows XP - I have just that (unfortunately still with CAS-3 Crucial). I am now on my 3rd set of OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Optimized RAM and hopefully when this one arrives, it will be flawless.

Otherwise, another RMA - this time directly to OCZ in the USA. To date I'm out $25 in shipping charges & still have no working OCZ.
That's right - it's a evidence of incapacity , but it's true. If you don't reach an ASUS tech on the phone - forget about ist. I tried to get an answer to a question about my notebook some time ago - no reply. My last request for detailed information about known bugs and issues concerning ram and dual channel in connection with the P4c800 deluxe I had to wait about 3 weeks to get the (really poor) answer: "Only some small problems with slightly asynchronous working rams...not appreciable..."
But have a look around here - you'll probably find any solution you need.
Support (if not provided by homepage) is one of the weaker sides of ASUS - I always worked with asus ( since i had my first p5a-board with a P1 on it ) and never had real troubles...some bios updates for bugfixes or performance reasons, yes - but thas was it. Tried some other manufacturers too...but they never reached the quality (or even the cost-performance ratio) of equivalent ASUSboards.
But the techsupport hotline is not really that good - if you reach someone at the phone it's okay, thoe people are by the way competent, but the mail support is ... well ... halfhearted.

I think you'll find the answers you need her in the forum...

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
3 Posts
p4p800 boot failure too

I'm having the exact same problem. Just RMA'd 1st one to newegg, installed 2nd one. machine seemed stable for several hours -- ran memtest on my 2 sticks of Crucial DDR3200 512MB with 0 errors.

I was in the BIOS about to tweak mem settings per AnandTech article, but saw a "Burst Length" one I didn't recognize so I set it back to defaults.

I may have set the Performance mode to Turbo before rebooting, now nothing!

BIOS reset with jumper & battery has no effect.

Arrggggghhhh...

·
Registered
30 Posts
To recitate speedo : "...run in circles , scream and shout!".
RMA your mobo - since the 4 mbit BIOSes have merged, the classical BIOS reset seems to refuse any of the normal resetfuncions.
Had some mails with asus concerning that problem, they told me tha same...what a shame.

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
10 Posts
adelmantx - try using the "INSERT" key rather than the "Delete" key to get into the BIOS.

I've heard that supposedly works - but I have never tested it. Let me know if it works or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I left the PSU leads disconnected, the battery removed, and the reset jumper on 2-3 all night.

I didn't have any luck with using the Insert key during power-on.

I'm starting to regret jumping from AMD & Epox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through this same issue. INS key works only under certain circumstances. In this case, just like mine with Crucial memory and "TURBO" settings it seems the bios can't recover. My memory is CL=3 type . The trick to getting it out of being "stuck" is to simply plug in a single stick of memory preferably CL=2 . In my case all I could find was DDR3200, cheap AZENRAM. I removed all current memory sticks and just put this one in the first blue slot. Bang! I was able to recover. I reverted all the settings to default and then put in my original memory with a promise to myself that until I purchase CL=2 memory => no overclocking. I think this is a defect in the design of the bios s/w. I think they will have to release a new load to fix this stupid situation. One should always be able to recover for settings that don't work. They advertise this"crash free" thing. I also concluded that the memory I bought was not on the list of recomended memory hence I was on my own with no recourse. I'll have to unload this memory into my kids machines and get myself the CL=2 mem from the approved list when it comes down in price.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
This confirms the boot problem - which ASUS isn't replying to.

If you choose TURBO with CAS-3 PC3200 (even the certified ones) - if you hang - which you probably will - you are just plain out of luck until you insert a stick of CAS-2! :upset:

How's that for a "CrashFree" BIOS2?! ASUS has outdone itself again! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ralph -- sounds like the identical problem as I'm having. I don't have any CL2 mem here. may see what the smallest, slowest CL2 mem I can find.

However, my board doesn't even generate beep codes now (with CPU and RAM removed). Prior P4P800-Deluxe MB would at least do that. I'm wondering if it's totally dead now!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.