Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm just about to order 2 x 1Gb PC3200 DDR400 Kingston Twin Kit.

I've been caught out before with a gigabyte mobo that would't take more than 1 gig.

I want to run 2 gig due to video editing.

Is there a better option for ram? (I will not be overclocking)

any ideas are welcome.

thanks

CuJo

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
This mobo is supposed to take 4 gig. There is no 1 Gig limit. But by "2x" do you mean 2 kits, or 1 kit with 2x DIMMs? If you mean 2 kits then I assume you know it will fill all 4 of your DIMM slots: each Kit has 2 DIMMs. If you mean 1 Kit, use only one color of DIMM slots.

The issue with the memory has not been capacity so much as the DIMM-to-DIMM match: how well matched they are on timing. "Twin Kit" is supposed to guarantee a good match, that's the "Kit" term meaning at Kingston. They've supposedly done 100% testing for a good match. So you pay slightly more for Kit because of the testing.

Your CPU speed also dictates how successful you'll be. The mobo seems to get a bit dicey at >=3.0GHz CPU, but with 2.8 GHz, I don't see many folks having problems. Also I have read that the P4C800-E became slightly more forgiving about memory than your P4P800. So Twin might be a good idea for you. I bought unmatched DIMMs and run 2.8 with the -E mobo and had no problems.

I suggest a search of this Mobo forum for term "Twin" and do some reading; I suspect you will find some folks are having trouble even WITH Twin, while others are not.

-clintfan

(clintfan is travelling and thus not online much for few days, didn't expect there'd be a 'puter here at all, it's a dell L667r klunker but it runs, has awesome aquarium screen saver)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback!

I intend to buy two kits (to fill all 4 sockets)

I am running a 3.0gig ht processor.

rgds

CuJo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.