Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes, i just got my pc and decided to to make sure i had all the latest drivers and updates.

so what i did was to first update my BIOS with t latest version from asus v 1010 using the AsusUpdate program which came with the CD. im running win2k pro.

everything worked fine and i rebooted as required. the moment t pc started up there was an error which came up saying smthg like "CMOS error" press F1... or F2....i selected F1 to go into setup and didnt save anything. when i rebooted it came up again and this time i selected to load default settings and it booted fine.

now, everytime i start up my pc (where the AMI logo is - it gives the correct BIOS version)

however, when select "DEL" go and go into BIOS and check the system information its showing the wrong or previous BIOS version. Is this the same for everyone else?

also, when i use programs like CPU-Z it shows the wrong BIOS version but the correct date. i thought windows was corrupted and reinstalled it. it still shows the old BIOS version in CPU-Z. And whats worse - when I tried to install AsusUpdate it gave me an error - no Asus MB found on my PC - whats going on ?? pls pls help.

i am thinking of reverting to my old bios version which i saved before updating it.

Fyi, my pc has
P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz
512Mb PC3200 Kingston value ram x1
Hercules 3D Prophet 9600 Pro 128 Mb

pls help me

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Make sure your monitor is warmed up.

Power on the machine. Wait about 1 second then hit DELETE. Now wait about 3 seconds and hit the Pause/Break key (you don't need Shift too). This should freeze the first part of the POST output on your screen... and I mean, freeze! Now look at the top few lines. You should see something like,

AMIBIOS (C)2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P4C800-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed: 2.80GHz

...and that second line is where your BIOS version is. See it?

After this, please do CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reset your PC to get the POST restarted, and let it run as usual this time. Or you can hit DELETE again if you want to enter BIOS Setup.

The so-called "AMI BIOS Version" in the BIOS setup's Main- System Information screen, isn't the version number you're looking for. It won't change when you do this update. It's probably a version number of some other related piece, not the 1010 or 1011 number quoted by Asus in their download area, and in all the Forums.

Oh, and "CMOS Error" is really bad. Glad you got past that and reloaded your defaults.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clintfan said:
Make sure your monitor is warmed up.

Power on the machine. Wait about 1 second then hit DELETE. Now wait about 3 seconds and hit the Pause/Break key (you don't need Shift too). This should freeze the first part of the POST output on your screen... and I mean, freeze! Now look at the top few lines. You should see something like,

AMIBIOS (C)2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P4C800-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed: 2.80GHz

...and that second line is where your BIOS version is. See it?

After this, please do CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reset your PC to get the POST restarted, and let it run as usual this time. Or you can hit DELETE again if you want to enter BIOS Setup.

The so-called "AMI BIOS Version" in the BIOS setup's Main- System Information screen, isn't the version number you're looking for. It won't change when you do this update. It's probably a version number of some other related piece, not the 1010 or 1011 number quoted by Asus in their download area, and in all the Forums.

Oh, and "CMOS Error" is really bad. Glad you got past that and reloaded your defaults.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

thanks clintfan - ok my PC is showing the right version then. (per your 2nd line). are there any reasons why i can't install the the AsusUpdate program anymore - it says " No Asus MB Found" and just quits install - anyone else had this problem after updating to v 1010.

also since i loaded defaults - all my BIOS settings have gone and i have no idea what to change or tweak except for time date boot sequence...pls help...

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I didn't use that Asus program, so I don't know which program you're talking about. Sorry. I gave you some BIOS setup answers in your other thread. Hope that helps,

-clintfan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.