Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having major problems with my brand new Asus P4P800. Now matter what i try, i cannot boot windows xp.

I've tried booting off my SP1 CD, i've tried booting from the floppy boot disk from their website, and every time it freezes as soon as the blue "Windows XP Setup" screen comes up.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

the PC will boot from my old Win98 boot floppy and from my Win98 and Win2000 CDs, however if i try to install windows 2000, it will just keep continuously booting from the cd and not recognize the harddisk.

The drive is a 120 GB WD S-ATA; it is recongnized by the BIOS )(it shows up as third IDE master or something like that) but it does not show up on the boot list.

please help...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your CD drives are attached to the primary IDE channel, and the hard drive is attached to the primary SATA port.

Which version of BIOS do you have? Flash to the newest if you're comfortable doing that.

Make sure RAID is turned off in BIOS, unless you've got some other hard drives that you're planning to configure as RAID.

What are your BIOS settings for boot drives, boot order, and drive configurations? The hard drive not showing up on the boot list could mean that it's on the wrong SATA port, in case your board is like mine and has SATA RAID ports in addition to regular SATA ports. Are you able to adjust the boot list so that the hard drive is listed? The options to do that should be on the same page in the BIOS.

My guess is that RAID is selected. I'll feel stupid if it turns out that RAID isn't on this motherboard. LOL

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Hey Mental, we were both in here at the same time!
The drive is a 120 GB WD S-ATA; it is recongnized by the BIOS )(it shows up as third IDE master or something like that) but it does not show up on the boot list.
First, what version of BIOS do you have? There is a fix in version 1009 for "Fix Maxtor 6Y120M0 YAR51BW0 Serial-ATA hard disk drive cannot be detected." True, yours is not Maxtor, but I don't think the BIOS would care about specific brands. You might need to update BIOS before you can load that HDD. (It does work to put O/S on a SATA drive, BTW, I've done it with the P4C800-E and you don't need to load any special F6 drivers either).

But wait, there's also a fix in 1010 for "Fix the system locks up at POST (Code:D1) the first time the system is restarted after flashing the BIOS using EZ Flash if a FSB800 CPU is used." So if you don't have 1009, I'd either use AFUDOS to flash it to 1009, or skip that and flash straight to 1010. Be sure to read up on How to Update BIOS especially the part about backing up your current BIOS.

Second, you say it shows up in Third IDE Master (which is correct, BTW) but not in the "boot list".

??Which boot list were you referring to? (there could be two)
??How many HDD's do you have in the box?

Reason I ask is, if you have multiple HDD's then you need to visit the BIOS setup Boot- Hard Disk Drives screen and use +/- to shuffle the devices to move your SATA up to "1st Drive"; that will make your SATA appear as a bootable HDD (this is the first list). Then go back to Boot- Boot Device Priority and shuffle the devices until you have it set to CD- Floppy- Hard Disk, where your SATA will be the Hard Disk choice (this is the second list).

If you have only the one HDD, then your SATA should be the only Hard Disk choice in Boot Device Priority. And there will be no Hard Disk Drives menu at all.

At least.... that's the way it's supposed to work! If the BIOS is working right.

Make sure RAID is turned off in BIOS, unless you've got some other hard drives that you're planning to configure as RAID. -Mental_Myopia
Right. I forgot about this. Go to the Main- IDE Configuration screen. Make sure:

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No

Let us know,

-clintfan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alrighty...BIOS is flashed to 1010....RAID is OFF...

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No
is all set...

there's only one drive...(well...two...but one of them doesn't have the power hooked up yet...i'm trying to recover the data from an old WinXP install from a different Motherboard)

the harddrive doesn't show up in Boot>Boot Device Priority at all...although it still appears as Third IDE Master...under the Main menu

still having the same problem...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ah...i stand corrected...there is one difference. the harddrive now appears on the boot menu. however I STILL CANNOT BOOT FROM MY WINDOWS XP CD...*dies*...oh..and guess what...an old windows 2000 installation that i experimented with awhile ago has suddenly decided to boot...so now i can get into windows 2000 :upset: ...but still not xp....

and remember, this isn't some pirated off the internet crap...I cannot even boot from a winxp BOOT FLOPPY FROM Microsoft's website!!

EDIT...i dunno if this has any relevance...but this is what happens when i boot from the WinXP CD and/or boot floppy

Setup is inspection your hardware configuration...
then the blue "Windows Setup" screen comes up (usually there's grey text at the bottom loading drivers and such...but this doesn't come up...it just freezes on the blue screen). Now, at this point [if i'm booting from cd] the computer appears to stop accessing the CD ROM, and the light on the floppy drive turns on (it stays on until i restart the computer)....

If i'm booting from floppy it's basically the same problem....

·
Registered
376 Posts
More information might shed some more light on this...
So far, this is what I understand:

Asus P4P800 mobo with 1010 BIOS
WD 120GB SATA drive attacked to the primary SATA port
This hard drive successfully booted up, but it was on a partition that has Win2000 on it. What is the jumper setting? If it's the only hard drive attached and powered on the system, remove the jumper completely and put it in a safe place for later. The second hard drive you spoke of should not be attached to any IDE ports if there's no power hooked up to it.

You have at least one CD drive. This should be attached to the blue primary IDE channel. The master CD drive should be attached to the far end of that cable with the jumper on the two pins closest to the drive's power cord. If you have a second CD drive, it should be attached to the middle 80 pin connection on the ribbon with the jumperon the two middle pins. (If you use cable select, the jumpers on both CD drives would be on the two pins closest to the IDE cable.)

The floppy drive light isn't permenently turned on all the time, is it? If this is the case, the floppy cable could be upside down. (That happened to me last week when I built my new system.)

More system information may be useful. What processor, memory, graphics card, and power supply are you using?

This is driving me nuts, too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol...actually the unpowered drive was plugged in...but it isn't anymore...and still no dice

i moved the CD-ROM to primary ide master...

there doesn't seem to be a jumper on the harddrive...

although if it says "third IDE master i'm assuming it's set on master

nope...the floppy drive is installed correctly...like i said, it reads the boot floppy just fine...it just jams as soon as the install begins...

processor is intel p4 2.4 ghz

ram is 2x Azenram 256 mb pc3200

videocard is made by asus and based on nvidia geforce ti4600

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
the only hard drive attached and powered on the system, remove the jumper completely and put it in a safe place for later. -Mental_Myopia]

there doesn't seem to be a jumper on the harddrive... although if it says "third IDE master i'm assuming it's set on master -daedalus08
daedalus08, you are correct. On a SATA drive, there either are no jumpers, or you don't mess with the jumpers.

The last time I beat my head against the wall over something like this, we tried EVERYTHING, and then it turned out to be a bad mobo. Same model as yours, please see P4P800 Deluxe boot problems. She went and got a replacement mobo, the same model, and it worked fine. You may have reached this point. Just trying to save you some more time.

-clintfan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.