Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new at it.....

I just bought

Asus p4c800e
inter cpu 2.6 w hyper threading
samsung Ram 512 mb 400
maxtor sata 120G hard drive
asus vedio card 128 MB ddr

the motherboard posts fine. the hard drive is connected to the SATA0 on the motherboard using the red cable supplied with the motherboard.
I have the bios configured. I am trying to install winXP. Gets an error" No mass storage device detected" " there is no hard drive detected" . In the boot sequence in the BISO I have the hard dirve listed.
I did create the floppy disk for the viaraid using the cd supplied with the motherboard. Using f6 while installing windows Xp I did install the driver viaraid from the floppy. But its the same problem when installing windows. "No mass storage device detected."

Requesting some help...

Thanks in adv..

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Hi itsniceday,
I did create the floppy disk for the viaraid using the cd supplied with the motherboard...But its the same problem when installing windows. "No mass storage device detected.
You don't have VIA RAID. You have a Promise chip instead. It's not the same thing. You don't need VIA software at all, even if you did want RAID. There's no VIA chip onboard to use such software, so nothing will be found.
Using f6 while installing windows Xp I did install the driver via raid from the floppy..."
You have only one disk drive. So you can't run RAID. Even though you have a Promise chip, you do not need to install a driver for it here. Ignore the "Press F6" message that comes up early in XP installs. It's just a reminder, not a demand! I wish the reminder message were phrased slightly differently, because it confuses new users. It disappears after a few-second timeout. Don't hit F6 here, period.
the hard drive is connected to the SATA0 on the motherboard using the red cable supplied with the motherboard.
Did you also attach a power cable? The data cable does not provide power.

If power is applied, try pulling another data cable out of the bag, and swap it for the one you're using.

There is no SATA0 connector. There are only "SATA 1", "SATA 2", "SATA RAID 1", and "SATA RAID 2" connectors. You should attach to the "SATA 1" connector, which is the second one down from the memory DIMMs. I've done this myself. I know it works.
No mass storage device detected
Is this the message that appears just before the XP Setup CD launches? If so, this message is normal, and you can ignore it. It is coming from the Promise controller chip, which you do not have anything attached to. It is not an error, just information. You will see it every time you power up.
I have the bios configured.
Well,
  1. Your SATA disk, probably 6Y120M0, should appear on the Main screen as "Third IDE Master".
  2. Also on this Main screen, go into the "IDE Configuration" item. Under that, set "Onboard Operate Mode" to "Enhanced; set "Enhanced Mode Support On" to "S-ATA"; and set "Configure S-ATA as RAID" to "No". (fyi, I think these settings are most likely your problem).
  3. On the Boot screen, under Boot Device Priority, your same HDD should be shown, probably listed as "3M-Maxtor". You should adjust your device orders top- to- bottom here as CD- Floppy- Hard disk.
  4. Hit F10 and confirm to Save Settings and Exit.[/list=1]

Now try booting the CD again. Remember, don't hit F6 where it tells you that you can. It should proceed to a Welcome to Setup screen. Later it should find your hard disk, and let you partition it. If I were you I'd create a 20480MB NTFS partition for XP (20GB), followed by an approx. 102400MB NTFS partition for data (100GB). Select the 20GB partition as the one to install the O/S on.

Once you get your O/S installed, be sure to apply the ICH5, 875P, P4C800: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility as the very next thing you do.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
207 Posts
clintfan said:
Hi itsniceday,

Is this the message that appears just before the XP Setup CD launches? If so, this message is normal, and you can ignore it. It is coming from the Promise controller chip, which you do not have anything attached to. It is not an error, just information. You will see it every time you power up.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan
Great response, the only thing I would add is that you can remove that message in Bios.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Good point, Javora. If you disable the Onboard Promise Controller, I had heard the message goes away. I just wasn't sure if the message itsniceday was referring to was really the Promise message, or if it was some other message coming from XP setup.

-clintfan

·
Registered
207 Posts
clintfan said:
Good point, Javora. If you disable the Onboard Promise Controller, I had heard the message goes away. I just wasn't sure if the message itsniceday was referring to was really the Promise message, or if it was some other message coming from XP setup.

-clintfan
I can confirm that, as I have the Promise controller disabled and the message no longer exists. After the Asus screen disappears the system loads the OS directly. I'm not sure that was the message either although I can't think of any other error message that sounds like that off the top of my head. But anyway itsniceday if you are not using the Promise controller, go ahead and disable it and see what you find. It won't hurt your system either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.