Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I just finish building my new PC. I had a few glitch but it seem fine for now. Need to check my memory with memtest while i'm sleeping.

My problem is the the crappy Intel CSA gigabit Lan doesn't work !
When I go in the device manager and use the update drivers.

I set it to search the Asus CD and it detect the ethernet and starting to install the drivers and at the end of the installation on the file exxxxxx.dll (don't remember the name) my PC crashes !

I went to Intel site and download drivers from their site and still crash at the same ****... place ! I need the press reset because my mouse freeze and my keyboard too !:angry2:

Is this a false driver or it is a bug on the motherboard ?

I update the BIOS to the latest revision.

Anyone can help me to solve this ? I pass 4 hours today without fixing the problem.

Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Hi again Sylvain,

Actually, the CSA driver does work, so let's try to sort out the problems you are having.

1. ??First, can you describe in more detail what you mean by "doesn't work"?

2. Make sure you applied the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility against all your chipset devices.

3. After applying that stuff and rebooting, go here and get this latest Asus XP LAN driver download for the -E mobo. You appear to already know how to update drivers, so put this driver on. BTW I would not use the driver off the CD, always go for the latest released downloadable. Also don't use drivers from the Intel site, at least not until you get it working first with an Asus driver.

4. Check your LAN device configuration under Control Panel- Network Connections. Network configuration is rocket science indeed.

Let us know your status on all of this.

One other person did report trouble with their LAN, but I think it was the P4C800 Deluxe with the 3Com LAN, not the P4C800-E. And my LAN runs fine with your same mobo. Some others have had trouble when they also installed the PCCIllin utility on the CD; it was shutting their LAN port off every 15 minutes.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clintfan said:
Hi again Sylvain,

Actually, the CSA driver does work, so let's try to sort out the problems you are having.

1. ??First, can you describe in more detail what you mean by "doesn't work"?

2. Make sure you applied the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility against all your chipset devices.

3. After applying that stuff and rebooting, go here and get this latest Asus XP LAN driver download for the -E mobo. You appear to already know how to update drivers, so put this driver on. BTW I would not use the driver off the CD, always go for the latest released downloadable. Also don't use drivers from the Intel site, at least not until you get it working first with an Asus driver.

4. Check your LAN device configuration under Control Panel- Network Connections. Network configuration is rocket science indeed.

Let us know your status on all of this.

One other person did report trouble with their LAN, but I think it was the P4C800 Deluxe with the 3Com LAN, not the P4C800-E. And my LAN runs fine with your same mobo. Some others have had trouble when they also installed the PCCIllin utility on the CD; it was shutting their LAN port off every 15 minutes.

-clintfan
Ok I had install the Intel Chipset Software Utility. I done this as soon as Windows XP was installed.

Then I install DirectX 9.0b
After I tried to install the driver for the Intel LAN Pro and I take the latest version from the Asus site. File "WinXP.zip"

So when it install the drivers it crash PC at the end of the installation of the drivers.

Also i'm having ramdomly memory error with Memtest86 3.0 but it always at the same section in the memory.

Boy this new PC is rocking but give me headache with the memory and the LAN.

I write to Asus and the RMA team write back to me and ask me to call them. I'm pretty sure that I have a falty motherboard.

I'll keep in touch !

Thanks for trying to help. This is the first time since few years I need to get help from the net concerning PC. usually I easily found the solution but know I think I did everything possible :confused:

Well I'll call Asus tomorrow and hope they send me a new board !
And hope it will be fast !

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well you followed the similar process as me, except I applied the Chipset Software afterwards. That should not make any difference. My LAN just runs and runs, same mobo, XP Pro+SP1a.

I did not get any crashes after installing drivers. You should not be getting crashes with yours. Plus you got weird memory test behavior. These things, together with unstable behavior experienced by other people here, suggest to me a possible memory issue.

I don't know your memory type, brand, or size. Have you tried running with only one stick of RAM, and then the other? Maybe by this you can narrow it down to one flaky RAM stick.

Another thing you could try, is put both sticks in the A slots, or both in the B slots. Both this, and the one-stick-only setup, should cut your memory speeds, so if this also gets rid of your crashes, then it seems memory has something to do with the problem. (Note: Asus doesn't specifically "support" only A1+A2, or only B1+B2 populated in this mobo, but the 875P chip does support it, based on testing done over at MSI on the 875P Neo mobo. I just mean it as a data point for your testing.)

If your CPU is particularly fast, that could strain your memory timing. Some brands have had success boosting the memory voltage by a tiny bit, like 0.1 to 0.25 volt.

Here's something else. If you're getting data corruption on downloads, then in my mind there's also a possibility that, if your memory is suspect, perhaps your install of the O/S got corrupted too. So, while running with only one memory stick, you might want to try an O/S reinstall, if it's not too much trouble.

BTW check the "WORKING" thread for examples of working mobo's.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.