Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to set-up this motherboard with one 80gig ata133 HD as the system drive and two 160gig ata133 HDs striped in raid 0 ? If so how?
Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
OK, I wasn't going to reply, since I don't do RAID, but since this thread is still sitting empty, I'll give it a go.

Is it possible to set-up this motherboard with one 80gig ata133 HD as the system drive and two 160gig ata133 HDs striped in raid 0 ?
Well, not exactly. The board only has one ATA-133 port, so you can only run two drives at ATA-133 (one master and one slave), not three. The third drive can be ATA-133, but would need to connect to one of the Southbridge ports, and therefore would run at ATA-100 assuming an 80-conductor (ATA-66+) cable is used.

If so how?
The manuals are unclear on the definite answer to your question. The short answer is yes, the manual implies you probably can run two ATA-133 disks as RAID 0, using your ATA-133 port which is driven by the Promise. To be absolutely sure, you'd need to try it, or keep asking around for others who've actually done it.

But, using SATA disks appears to give greater RAID flexibility than ATA in terms of where you could attach those drives within your box as time goes on, and IMO possibly slightly better performance.

With the P4C800-E you can do RAID 0 off either the Southbridge or Promise SATA port pairs. The Promise can additionally do RAID 1 or 0+1. Refer to mobo manual sections 2.8.5 and 5.4 for sketchy info about the Promise RAID connectivity and configuration. Refer to sections 2.8.4 and 5.5 for info about the Intel RAID 0 on the Southbridge. Note you cannot run RAID off the Southbridge ATA-100 ports, only its SATA ports.

--long-winded analysis deleted (ask, if you need any wild guesses from me)--

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.