Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

Hello, I would like someones opinion on an issue that I am having regarding this motherboard. I have installed all of my hardware. I installed the CPU, hooked up all the power lines as specified, and powered the machine up. As you may or may not know this motherboard comes with the post software which identifies problems as they arise with the motherboard. When I powered the machine on I get the message "system failed cpu test". The CPU is new in the box, and I dont know if it is bad or not? When I received the CPU it had some pins, about 6 on an outside row that were ever so slightly bent. I managed to straighten them out, and the CPU dropped right into the socket. Everything so far that I have done winds up with the same end result, and same message? I have installed Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G memory modules. One module in DIMMA1, and another in DIMMA2.

I removed the lithium battery to the CMOS, and changed the jumpers on the CLRTC in an attempt to clear the CMOS memory, and when I powered up the same result? I disconnected the motherboard from the case to make sure that nothing was shorting the board out from the back. Same result, same message. I properly appled the Artic Silver, and absolutely no spillover, and never even came close to the pins so I ruled that out right away. I really dont have any way of testing the CPU and I am wondering if I should just send it in to INTEL? Help

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
It sounds like the CPU chip was damaged, probably dropped. No pins should be bent, ever. Hopefully you can still get the CPU exchanged.

-clintfan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPU bent pins

This was a new in the box CPU. Would those ever so slight bent pins be enough to kill the CPU? I straightened them out with a piece of plastic, it drops right in? Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
No question here - send it back. If its within 15 days your vendor should replace it otherwise you'll have to send it to Intel. They may have a problem with the bent pins though and say it was due to installing it wrong. I'd send it back - why pay for something that not 100%

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CPU/Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

O.K. well than the CPU is going back to Intel. I just wonder if those very slightly bent pins, maybe 5 of them would cause the CPU to fail? I straightened them out and dropped the thing into the socket? Anyhow the mobo recognizes when the CPU is not installed, and when it is installed it still posts the message "system failed cpu test". So, this must mean that the problem lies in the CPU, and not in the Mobo?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I think that is our best guess here. The mobos are problematic, but AFAIK nobody else here has experienced a "failed CPU test" error, and your CPU was damaged, so we are just putting 2 and 2 together. No way to really tell without swapping in a different CPU.

Good luck on that return, but first...

I hate to bring it up now, but we forgot to ask what sort of CPU that was. In case indeed it is simply incompatible.

One module in DIMMA1, and another in DIMMA2.
Oh, and BTW you want those DIMM's in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (both blue sockets), not A1 & A2.

-clintfan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have installed my CPU in the mobo and I continue getting "system failed cpu test". I have loosened the screws in the fan holder, cleared the "clrtc", removed the lithium battery, and shorted the jumpers. End result is the same "system failed cdpu test". I stated earlier on another thread that the cpu initially had about 5-6 pins ever so slightly bent. I straightened them out and dropped in the CPU. Reason I am bringing this up again is because I am wondering if those ever so slightly bent pins is the culprit? I am just wondering if there is anything that I can do to eliminate the possibility of a faulty mobo.
I removed the memory and did not get any signal. Weird because the mobo can detect the presence of the cpu when it is in the socket with the post message that indicates the system failed the cpu test. The mobo also detects the missing cpu? Can anyone tell me if those bents pins are definitely the culprit? You cant even tell that they were bent in the first place. Since I have no other way to test it on another board I am wondering if there is an alternative method I can use to eliminate it or the mobo one way or another?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CPU/Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

The processor is a P4-3.0GHz.

Thanks for the advice regarding the memory, I did have the sticks installed incorrectly. I have re-installed them correctly. I am sending the processor back to Intel.

Clintfan, the pins have been restored to their original poisition, really you cant even tell that they were bowed out in the first place? Are these processors that fragile?

I purchased this processor off e-bay, it was sealed in the original shrink wrap. I wonder if the shipping had something to do with it, it was packaged properly. Anyway, I am going to send it back.

Thanks for all the technical support, really this is the best site I have come across. You guys/gals have been terrific!

·
Registered
62 Posts
A few of my CPU pins were also bent slightly. I straightened them, processor dropped in and it seemed to work fine. Bought CPU from Newegg.

In your original post you said you used Arctic Silver thermal compound. My processor came with a thermal pad installed, no need for any heat sink compound. I assumed that all late model Intel CPU's must be delivered the same way. Yours had no pad?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey dude

i got the same mobo as you, i got a p42.8gig 800mhz processor, which have been using it for 5months now.

Few days ago, my mobo come up with a msg said that cpu not installed n cpu failed system test!

when i took the cpu out, found 2 of the cpu pins are bend badly!

If im not wrong, the problem occur on the mobo cpu socket slot.
when locking down the cpu, the socket must have bend the chip while sercuring into it!

im suspecting the mobo cpu socket must be a factory defect....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.