Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished assembling a new computer. P4C800-E Deluxe and 2.8 800fsb.

Everything powered up fine and got into the BIOS set-up. Came with BIOS v8 something. Flashed to the most recent version listed on ASUS site for this board, described as "P4CED10.zip, v1010, 7/23" using AFUDOS utility.

Flash update went fine (or so the screen said), but when I check the in the BIOS set-up now, the version says, "8.00.09, build date 7/21/03, P4CED084". I had expected to see a version # like 1010. Did I do something wrong here? Or is 1010 really an some higher v8?

Second question is I have only one HD. WD80gb, SE. Meant to set it up as my boot drive of course. Connected it to the Promise IDE connector in the lower right of the board, reserving the other two IDE connector higher up for optical drives (though I only have one installed at the moment).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the computer to recognize the HD. It does recognize it in the boot up process, but does not show up in the boot priority screen, nor the IDE configuration screen, nor does XP install find it. Have tried changing the configurations of the Promise controller with no luck. The jumper on the HD is set to "single". I am beginning to suspect this Promise IDE connector is only for a RAID set-up? Is what I'm trying to do even possible on this connector or do I have some configuration wrong?

Thanks........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear 5shot

try this go to bios-> onboard devices configuration -> onboard Promise Controller -> operating Mode -> chnage RAID to IDE
and see what happen ?!

hope this helps

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know what you upgraded? But here is the bios page Bios 1010. Take all of the jumpers off of the drive (WD needs to be this way to be used as a master.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a similar issue with the ATA133 HD installation. I hooked it up to the promise controller and tried to install WinXP and the installation CD wouldn't recognize the drive. The drive is 200GB, and I know that WinXP doesn't recognize drivers over 137GB. The BIOS sees the drive though when I enable the Promise controller and set mode to IDE but I can't get any further that that.

Here is what I am doing and I am not sure if this will work. I hooked up the drive to primary IDE channel and WinXP install CD recognized it but with lesser size. So I will install WinXP on it, run Partition Magic to recognize the full drive and then simply rehook it to the promise conroller. I am not sure if this will work though.

If anyone knows how to properly set up WinXP on ATA133 drive hooked up to Promise controller on this MOBO then please reply. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF dmaljunk

In the future it would be good forum etiquette to start your own thread on your particular problem. It makes it a lot easier when you know who's answering whom..........:D

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I too just brought up a P4C800-E this past weekend, similar rig as yours, same speeds & BIOS. I can answer some of the questions...

...now, the version says, "8.00.09, build date 7/21/03, P4CED084". I had expected to see a version # like 1010. Did I do something wrong here? -5shot
I saw the same thing. The 1010 is in your POST display, not your BIOS System Information display. Power up or do Ctrl-Alt-Del, then while the colored Asus banner is briefly up, hit DEL (as it says at the bottom right). This should briefly switch the display to POST output you couldn't see before, where you should see that the top few lines look like this...

AMIBIOS (C)2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P4C800-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

: etc...

So there's the version Asus is talking about (they never tell you this on the website, and AFUDOS doesn't have a reporting feature like AFLASH does). My POST line read "1007" before I updated. The output blanks pretty quickly, replaced by the Promise scan. I noticed after the update, in the Setup's System Information display, that the date changed to yours but the version number stayed the same. :dead:

...I am beginning to suspect this Promise IDE connector is only for a RAID set-up? Is what I'm trying to do even possible on this connector...-5shot
Well all I can definitely tell you is that no, it's not just for RAID. I've got 2 SATA disks off this, and they're not RAID; in XP they're 2 independent drives, G: & H:. In my BIOS Setup, under Advanced-- Onboard Devices Configuration-- Onboard Promise Controller, I have it set to "IDE", as playalot said, and I'm using the SATA drives OK with that. Unfortunately I'm not using the ATA-133 port, so I can't help you there. Actually, both of those Promise SATA's do show up in my Setup as potential boot devices, but I'm not choosing them. Anything further about the 133 port would be pure conjecture on my part.

The drive is 200GB, and I know that WinXP doesn't recognize drivers over 137GB. -dmaljunk
Well that may have been true once, but my drives are all 160GB and XP+SP1a was just fine with them, far as I can tell. When I booted from CD, XP setup claimed each drive was 156320MB (I wrote it down), so... might the limit depend on your Service-Pack level? If course I haven't filled them up to 137GB+ to test ;) but XP saw all drives and partitioned fine using Partition Magic 8.01 (which on this rig took less than 1 minute for everything).

-------------------

Now for one tidbit of way less-solid info. While studying Intel chipset docs, and figuring what mobo to buy, I could swear I ran across something that said the primary boot device had to be on one of the Southbridge IDE ports. I can't find that quote now, and in the case of addon SCSI, can't see how that could be possible. Just food for thought.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Guess I'm not quite done yet...
I have only one HD. WD80gb, SE.... Connected it to the Promise IDE connector in the lower right of the board, reserving the other two IDE connector higher up for optical drives -5Shot
First, as you probably know, each IDE port can support 2 drives: a master and a slave. It's unlikely you'd be using two optical drives at the same time unless you're planning to do bulk CD burning; this is more a job for SCSI, where you can have enough drives. So go ahead and strap your existing drive as master and plug the long end into the uppermost (black) SEC IDE connector on the mobo. When you get a second drive, strap it as slave and hook it to the slave connector on this same cable. Be sure your cable's not in backwards, and the farthest drive (master) goes to the farthest cable connector.

Second, I assume by "SE" you mean "Special Edition"-- is that the 7200rpm 80GB Caviar drive? Maximum ATA speed for that drive is 100, so you will not gain any speed advantage by hooking it to an ATA133 port anyway, plus you'd be clogging your PCI bus! So do the same strap/cable thing for your WD, but hook it to the mobo's middle blue (PRI IDE) port which, like the SEC, comes off the ICH5R Southbridge and bypasses the PCI bus. If you use an 80-conductor ATA-66 rated cable here, you'll get maximum throughput from your WD. Don't use older 40-pin cables. ATA-66 cables also handle 100 and 133, but there's hardly any 133 drives (e.g. Maxtor 6Y160P0).

...Connected it to the Promise IDE connector... I have not been able to get the computer to recognize the HD. It does recognize it in the boot up process, but does not show up in the boot priority screen, nor the IDE configuration screen, nor does XP install find it. -5Shot
I haven't actually tried booting off a Promise, but these are some ideas to try. First some background...

On the BIOS Setup Main screen, they list only Southbridge ICH5R devices: Primary IDE Master, Slave, Secondary IDE Master, Slave --these are all pretty obvious and relate to those upper 2 IDE connectors. Then they list Third IDE Master and Fourth IDE Master --For the P4C800-E Deluxe, these are your upper two SATA ports "SATA1" and "SATA2" respectively.

The lower two SATA ports, "SAIA RAID1" and "SATA RAID2" --plus the lowermost (blue) 133 port-- are all on the Promise. The Promise BIOS knows what it's got hooked up to it, and your Setup program comes up after the Promise has had a chance to scan its drives. But none of your Promise devices will appear on the Main screen. Where they do show up is in your Boot-- Hard Disk Drives screen. There will be an entry for "1st Drive", "2nd Drive", etc. which you can cursor up/down to highlight, then either (a)hit "+/-" to cycle through values, or (b)hit Enter which opens a popup from which you can use cursor up/down to choose a drive from the list then hit Enter again to set. Drives on your Promise will be listed like "SATA378 TX2plus D0" (I don't have a HD on the 133 port to compare to), and drives on your Southbridge will be listed like "PM- Maxtor 6Y160P0", "3M- Maxtor 6Y160M0" where "PM" is for Primary Master, "3M" is for "Third Master" and so on. You may already know all this.

Now, that HDD list is supposed to "specify the Boot device priority sequence from available Hard drives" (note they're only talking about HD's here, not CD's too). So here, make your desired Promise HD appear as the "1st Drive". With only one HD, your other "Drive" fields should all be set to "Disabled".

Finally, the "Boot Device Priority" screen lets you control booting amongst your dissimilar devices. You only get three device choices: Floppy, CD, and one HD: whatever you listed for "1st Drive" earlier should appear there. You don't get a choice of multiple HD's here, so you need to position your Promise HD as "1st Drive". Hitting "+/-" here toggles amongst only a few fixed patterns; I had to set mine to CD-Flop-HD to get the XP CD to load (Flop-CD-HD didn't work).

To test the Promise thing, I changed my "1st Drive" to one of my Promise drives, set the others to "Disabled" then went back to the Priority screen. That Promise drive now showed up as one of the choices. Try it!

...with the ATA133 HD installation. I hooked it up to the promise controller and tried to install WinXP and the installation CD wouldn't recognize the drive. -dmaljunk
Well as I said I haven't actually tried booting off a Promise. But the other reason for your problem might be because XP can't see the Promise controller until after you've installed XP drivers for it, and this can't happen until XP is up. So we have a little chicken-and-egg problem.

On mine, after I first loaded XP, I went into the Control Panel-- System-- Device Manager and there the Promise showed up as a yellow "(!)". Only after loading the drivers, did it show up properly. THEN I could format the HD's on it.

So if the BIOS thing discussed above doesn't let XP install directly onto a Promise drive, then maybe the driver thing is what's biting both of you. You would need to temporarily attach your HD to a Southbridge port so you can load XP to it, and thus have a way to put on the Promise drivers. Then indeed you should be able to move it... AND change your BIOS Boot settings accordingly. Note you can download 3 drivers from the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe download site for the Promise --one ATA driver and 2 versions of RAID driver (if you click on the ALL tab). For non-RAID you want the one called "Promise FastTrak 378 ATA Driver" for WinXP (not Win2003). Runs fine.

Microsoft seems to adapt over time, so I'm sure that someday it won't be this way, there'll be an XP-SP2 or SP3 that knows how to work with Promise-spiced mobo's. (Maybe this is what I remembered reading about before...?)

Hope this helps get you going, :bandit:

-clintfan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.