P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB
Corsair Twinx PC3200 (DDR 400) matched pair 512MB
Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro
Samsung SD-616QBB 16x48x DVD-ROM
Sony CRX220A 52x24x52x CDRW IDE
Standard floppy drive
Creative Labs Sounblaster Audigy 2 Player
Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V 120GB

I partion and format the hard drive then a few Windows files are installed. The computer restarts and the screen appears that states 39 Minutes to go until installation complete. I've tried several times but my computer just freezes at different points during this, never the same place twice. which locks the system and makes the process start again at 39 Minutes upon rebooting.

I have disconnected everything and reconnected to ensure all cables are tight and secur. I have tried disconnecting one of the drives, I have placed the memory into the other 2 slots on the motherboard, I have removed the sound card, I have reset the Bios on the motherbaord back to its default settings. But I still have the above problem. The computer turns on fine and I can partion and format the drive ok, but it freezes at random points while installing Windows XP Pro.

Any ideas please i'm totally stumped.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums atomic.........:D

How did you partition and format the drives?

I don't even see a hard drive on your list! Are you sure you have one...:winkgrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums atomic.........

How did you partition and format the drives?

I don't even see a hard drive on your list! Are you sure you have one...
I used the Windows XP Pro CD to create the partition and format the drive to the NTFS system. Hard drive listed at the bottom :D

I have managed to get a little futher along I have moved the memory together into single channel and I managed to get Windows XP and some drivers installed but the system is very unstable and gets frequent crashes that cause reboots and on a few occassions I've had to turn the computer switch off on the back of the machine. So i'm starting to think its possibly my memory causing all the stability problems, any input please anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
SPEEDO you're slacking man, how can you miss barracuda...lol j/k...

did you try flashing your bios ? maybe that would work...
Does WinXP have another formatting option when you do the format thingy ? maybe you can try picking something other than NTFS and see how that goes...

HTH :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input guys. I used a memory test program called MemTest-86 v3.0 on my older computer and my newly built machine. The old one tests fine but errors are on both of the matched pair corsair memory in my new system so I guess thats the cause. Well on to Scan for replacement I guess :angry2:

S

·
0 Posts
Hey I thought I was doin' pretty good for a blind guy...:|

Boot into the bios and have a look at what your Cpu temp is.

Whoops! I typed this up quite a while ago and went outside to chat with a neighbor and forgot to post it.............;)

Looks like all is OK now.............:|

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.