Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, i'm trying to upgrade my PC, so i bought Asus P4c800 deluxe, Antec 'TRUE BLUE' 480watts and P4 2.4c Ghz 800 fsb.

my system

P4 2.4c Ghz 800 fsb
P4C800 Deluxe
2X 512 ddr 333
Geforce MX 400 64 mb
Antec 480 watts
40 gig hard drive( with my old operating system XP PRO and all my programs)

PROBLEM:
So i installed everything then turn my pc on, it boots up detects everything ok, i can go to BIOS setup program but then after it boots up, windows should load RIGHT, but mind don't, for some reason it looses power and goes back booting again, i tried over and over but keep getting that power loss. and also when i enabled my Vocal Post Messages Reporter it say's 'Computer now booting from operating system' after it says that, i get power loss.

i'm not sure if my new ATX psu or operating system is creating this problem.

Can u guys pls help

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure its a power loss that makes your puter booting up again?

I've had the same problem and finaly noticed that although the main board detected the HDD, my winXP didnt.

Put in the original XP cd.. adjust your bios that it boots first from cd-rom and when prompted launch the cd.

See if it can detect your HDD like if you would want to install XP.

Goodluck.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Your old HDD is configured for the computer and mobo it came out of. I'm guessing XP is getting confused during bootup and stuck in a restart loop because the devices it knew about are all wrong now. Another user had a similar problem yesterday, and fixed it by a reinstall, look here.

You will need to do a reinstall of Windows over the top of what you have, using the CD. I think there may be a "repair" mode that you can select for this. If you can back up data and settings first, that would be a good idea, but in your situation since you can't boot I'm guessing that's not possible.

Don't forget to apply the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility immediately after XP, followed by all the drivers that go with your new mobo: Video, LAN, Promise, and sound.

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i don't have the XP cd coz when i bought my system 2 years ago the xp was installed already. i'm actually using my old mobo now just to get access and get some help. well i think u guys right that XP is my problem, what should be the next step for me?

thanks alot

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Maybe you can trigger SAFE MODE (via F8) before your PC gets into the loop. You can read this article yourself. There are a lot of minimal boot options available. One of those might get your PC booted, so you can do some driver reinstalls. This Microsoft article, A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP, describes SAFE MODE.

There is also a Recovery Console thing in XP, but it had to be installed already; if your HDD came preinstalled, maybe it's on there. Not sure how useful it would be to you, it looks pretty low-level. What you really need is a "repair" option which I think is available when booting the install CD (which you don't have). See HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP.
I think I'll go install this thing on my own PC soon, just in case!

Your only other option, I'm afraid, is to go buy a new copy of XP+SP1a. It's pretty tough to move any hard disk to a different mobo if you don't have an install CD available.

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I have no idea. I assume XP is pretty copyright-aware. It's your decision.

You can buy XP Pro from Newegg.com for about $150, including the cost of some piece of hardware like a cable or something (to satisfy MS sales requirements), and shipping might even be free since they're having a special. For XP Pro that's half the price at my local "computer superstore" and I found Newegg to be a way smooth place to do business.

If you buy this (what they call "OEM" version), 2 CD's will come, but you won't need the one labelled "OEM Preinstallation Kit". Be sure to write your 25-character install code on the XP CD's paper jacket, the code is found on a sticker in the shrinkwrap with the 2 CD's and the little getting-started guide.

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in that case, if the operating system is the real problem, sure i'll buy one just to fix my problem. but before i buy i just want to make sure that operating system is the problem.
can't get to SAFE MODE or command prompt and etc. pc restarting if i choose those option.

i can boot from my cd rom OK

thanks alot for your time clint

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well I can't say for certain that there isn't another way besides using a CD, it's just my best guess, since you can't even access SAFE MODE.

You had just said "...after it boots up, windows should load RIGHT, but [mine] don't, for some reason it looses power and goes back booting again, i tried over and over..." which sounded to me like what I said: getting stuck in a loop looking for important devices that aren't there.

With an XP CD, several options become would open to you. Just after the early, timed F6 prompt for drivers, there's another timed prompt, "Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)" which I would try first. Soon after there's an option, "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R". Or you can just "Continue", to install over the top of what you have.

Personally, I do not know what happens to your other existing data files if present on the same partition you install to; I think it's safe to assume they will remain, IF you choose to NOT format the drive when prompted about formatting. If they are on a different partition I'm reasonably certain they will be untouched.

Hope this helps,
my experience with reinstalls is very minimal.

-clintfan

·
Registered
16 Posts
have this problem all the time at work because our test bed harddrives get mixed up in different beds

easy fix (for me anyway)

boot of xp cd
go into setup
when it asks you that there is a os already, hit repair
it will start the recovery console

from there, what you want to type is
fixmbr

reboot and it should be ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.