Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. Ive been reading through all the problems about this board and it seems like noone is having the same problem as i am.

Hardware:
asus p4c800 deluxe e
3.06 processor
2x 256 ddr 2700
zalman CNPS7000A-CU cooler
ati radeon 9600 pro
Vantec Stealth 470w power supply

Anyways Ive put the system together and everything seems to be working ok. So i go and format my drive and decide to go to be while leaving it on to let it finish formatting. When i get up I noticed that the computer is turned off so i tried to turn it on and nothing. It doesnt want to power up at all. I mess around with it and noticed that when I take the 4 pin 12v plug and and just leave the atx connector in and power it it the fan spins but then stops and keeps doing this everytime you power it up. This has actually happened twice with two different p4c800 deluxe e motherboards but the other i got done loading windows and it was working fine for maybe a couple of hours and then i powered down and it did the same thing. It didnt want to power up. The green light on the board lights up and everything. I know all the component works because Ive tried them in another computer which also has the p4c800 deluxe e. Ive swapped out the processor memory and even video card. And i know the other one is working because it still does and it works with my components too. Its so weird and im really fustrated and i dont know what the problem is!!! Does anyone have a clue or any idea??? Thanks!!!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Not sure I have any fixes for you, but there are a couple answers, some questions, and some things to check and/or think about...

...noticed that when I take the 4 pin 12v plug and and just leave the atx connector in and power it it the fan spins but then stops and keeps doing this everytime you power it up.
I would expect this. I've heard the BIOS detects any lack of the extra 12V, and calls an error, and quits. In fact, your mobo manual in section 2.8.9 states, "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin ATX +12V power plug. Otherwise, the system does not boot up."

...the green light on the board lights up and everything.
That is just your standby voltage coming from the power supply, +5VSB. Unfortunately this says nothing about the health of the rest of the supply.

This has actually happened twice with two different p4c800 deluxe e motherboards but the other i got done loading windows and it was working fine for maybe a couple of hours and then i powered down and it did the same thing... I know all the component works because Ive tried them in another computer
A lot of folks have complained of similar problems, and I believe most of them have turned out to be either the power supply, the memory, or the solder blob problem.

??Is there a chance your AC house power had a fluctuation during these times where the PC shut itself off? The default would be for the PC to return to a power-off state after such an event. I haven't bought my new UPS yet (they were out of stock when I was ordering) but that might be something else to get at some point.

470W is plenty for the -E (some are using 350W), although you don't say how many drives you have. And Vantec is a respected name, for round cables at least. But if the particular unit is flaky, it might work when you try it in the other PC, with the power load which that PC presents to it, but then decide not to work in your other one. The fact the same thing happened with a different mobo, but presumably with the same supply, makes me even more suspicious of the supply.

A side note: things I thought were really key about my Antec True480 supply were its "dedicated output circuitry for each voltage output {which} overcomes the limitations of combined output of traditional design", and also "voltage Feedback to maintain accurate voltage to all components". I don't know how this compares to every other supply, but I do think that a good solid design in a supply should yield stable performance, and so far I've got no complaints other than fan noise.

For the Vantec, from their web I can see the 470 has overvoltage /overcurrent /undervoltage protection (note I read "shutoff" here) but I don't see anything specific about regulation or the design. But the specs lead me to think they are still combining their +5V and +3.3V into one output section, which is still actually pretty common among supplies I think.

I mentioned your drives because my disk-designer friend just told me Friday that except for the actuator arm which is still +12V,nearly all hard drives today are heavy into the +5V, and they really hog the current, especially while spinning up at boot time... this can really drag a supply down. I suppose --and this is just an educated guess-- that a supply which shares its +5V/+3.3V sections, could fail to provide enough juice to the CPU processor and related components, at the bootup moment that it really needs it. Some mobos will detect low-voltage conditions and shut down. This could make it hard to power up.

??If you have multiple hard drives, can you run OK if you unplug all the non-OS drives?

So i go and format my drive and decide to go to be{d} while leaving it on to let it finish formatting. When i get up I noticed that the computer is turned off...
??Is there any chance your computer overheated? Like, the Vantec is set to too low of a fan speed (I think there is a red 3-position slider switch).

Something else you might try is go into the BIOS setup Power menu (if you can get that far) and make sure the Advanced Power Management (APM) stuff isn't set to shut your hard drives or video down after some period of inactivity.

Another thing that could be biting you --though I doubt it-- is the crazy ACPI stuff, which is another form of power management, but a poorly-architected one from what I've read. I have mine all disabled. But for your case I think ACPI would not yet be active enough during an XP format/install to hurt you, IMO that's too early though I could be wrong. But the APM Configuration... that could getcha.

??BTW what version of the BIOS are you running?

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clintfan said:
A lot of folks have complained of similar problems, and I believe most of them have turned out to be either the power supply, the memory, or the solder blob problem.

yea i checked the solder problem and it doesnt seem like its a problem on both of the boards.

clintfan said:
??Is there a chance your AC house power had a fluctuation during these times where the PC shut itself off? The default would be for the PC to return to a power-off state after such an event. I haven't bought my new UPS yet (they were out of stock when I was ordering) but that might be something else to get at some point.

This could have happned becuase i notice that everytime i did go to power the computer up my light would flicker. So if the mb is in teh "power-off state" how would i get it to reboot back up? or is teh motherboard damaged?

clintfan said:
470W is plenty for the -E (some are using 350W), although you don't say how many drives you have.

I have a dvd rom 3 Hd: 2 30 gig maxtor and an older 20 gig ibm also a scsi burner hooked up to a adaptec 2940 card.

clintfan said:
A side note: things I thought were really key about my Antec True480 supply were its "dedicated output circuitry for each voltage output {which} overcomes the limitations of combined output of traditional design", and also "voltage Feedback to maintain accurate voltage to all components".

Ive actually tried to power up the mb with the Antec true 480 power supply and no luck. But thats after the board could of been damaged from what happened ealier. But i also tried my Vantec ps on the system with the Antec it and works fine. (which is a p4 2.8 on an Intel 875 chipset board)

clintfan said:
??Is there any chance your computer overheated? Like, the Vantec is set to too low of a fan speed (I think there is a red 3-position slider switch).

I dont think the computer overhead because i have a good cpu fan in teh zalman and i have a Lian Li Case with upgraded case fans in them. I also was checking the temperature out when it was working it didnt go over 110 degreess. Usually it was near 100 degress

clintfan said:
Something else you might try is go into the BIOS setup Power menu (if you can get that far) and make sure the Advanced Power Management (APM) stuff isn't set to shut your hard drives or video down after some period of inactivity.

I did that when it first was working

clintfan said:
??BTW what version of the BIOS are you running?

I dont rememeber but it was either version 1.4 or 1.7

Thanks again clint for all the help

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
So if the mb is in {the} "power-off state" how would i get it to reboot back up?
Pressing the power switch is normally the only way. All I'm saying is, if a powerfail turns it off, by default it stays off... it doesn't flip back on when power returns.

It didnt want to power up.
??Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery? Yes I know the mobo's brand new, but that doesn't mean Asus put a new battery in it!

??Is the supply's 24 pin connector plugged securely all the way into the 20-pin adapter cable? And the adapter plugged securely all the way into the 20-pin mobo ATX connector? If not, maybe the PWR_OK or some other signal is making only intermittent contact somewhere along the way there.

zalman CNPS7000A-CU cooler...i have a good cpu fan in teh zalman and i have a Lian Li Case with upgraded case fans in them.
That's a great cooler. Dumb question here:
??Did you remember to use thermal grease or compound between the zalman and the CPU chip?

This could have happned becuase i notice that everytime i did go to power the computer up my light would flicker.
They must be on the same house circuit. Your PC flickers the lights when it turns on; based on this it makes me think if something turns on somewhere else, like maybe a heater, stove, water heater, TV, electric blanket, it could "flicker" the PC.
??You could try moving the PC to another room's AC outlet, but I doubt it will make much difference unless your power is really borderline in the room.

I have a dvd rom 3 Hd: 2 30 gig maxtor and an older 20 gig ibm also a scsi burner hooked up to a adaptec 2940 card.
Well that sounds like an acceptable load for a 470W supply, if not a bit on the high side. You didn't give models, but I checked the power consumption on some Maxtor 30GB's and it's about 20-22W to spin up, then it drops to about 1/3 of that for normal operation. I had no idea which IBM model to check, but even if it's 40W, all this still adds up to about 1/4 of what you supply should be able to deliver, though the CPU will take a large chunk.

??Have you tried unplugging stuff, to run with only the O/S HDD and CD installed and powered up?

You could answer the few ??questions above, but dang, I'm starting to run out of ideas again.

-clintfan

·
Registered
1 Posts
power supply for p4c800 asus

was wondering can any1 help me,

I have been given a atx casing with a seven team st-250ak power supply going up to 230

was wondering if thiscan be used with the asus p4c800 as most people seem to have antec 480 true , this seems quite expensive,

also if i have to buy the antec power supply , will it fit in any atx case?

any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
207 Posts
cornholio1 try starting your own thread, you can get help much faster this way.

As to your question: No I would not use anything less then a 400-watt power supply with a P4C800 motherboard. This motherboard seems to use a lot of power. You can get a 480-watt power supply for about $100.00 USD. Any standard ATX power supply should fit in any ATX standard case. What type of case do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.