Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm running the ASUS p4c800 deluxe with an Intel P4 3.2 GHz chip. i updated my bios, and the only option i have for processor speed is 2.4 GHz. i'm able to overclock by 30% to get 3.12 GHz, but shouldn't i be able to get 3.2 without overclocking?

i'm running with 2 512 MB sticks of PNY PC2700 (333mhz) memory. i tried changing the speed settings to 2-2-2-5 and 2-2-3-5, but each time i tried changing those numbers, the computer wouldn't boot up. each time i had to restart by shutting off the power. upon boot, i held the del key to get back into the bios and changed the settings back to default.

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

thanks

howie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is set to standard and when i choose manual, it says 200 mhz. also, the ratio is set to 12.

are there standards that I should set these at to optimize my chip or just trial and error?

thanks

S

·
0 Posts
howie said:
it is set to standard and when i choose manual, it says 200 mhz. also, the ratio is set to 12.

are there standards that I should set these at to optimize my chip or just trial and error?

thanks
Try setting it to 400MHz. with a ratio of 8 if that doesn't work try setting the bios to default check to see if the settings are at auto for the CPU and such and see what that gives you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i set it to 400 and 8, but the monitor wouldn't turn on. since i'm running pc2700, i tried 333 and 9. i also tried 320 and 10. all of them gave me the same result: the monitor wouldn't turn on. i don't know if that meant that nothing was happening in the computer or if the video signal wasn't getting to the monitor. so each time that happened i had to restart the computer, bet back into the bios and set it to something that would boot. currently, i'm at 266 and 12.

could it be the memory i am using? it is PNY pc2700 (333 mhz). pny is not on asus' list of preffered memory, so i'm not sure if that is part of the problem.

any ideas??

S

·
0 Posts
To truly get the performance from the 400Mhz FSB you need to get PC3200 memory.

Here is a pic from the manual.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.