Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Hitachi Sata 160 GB connected to the Sata IV socket.I want to add a Western Digital Sata HD and wondered which socket I need to use.I see there are Sata Primary and Secondary sockets.I'm sure the handbook that came with the muther board has this information but with a "fog index " of 9.6, I prefer someone to tell me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appologies for the Sata IV.I missread Sata 1.No idea why I read IV the first time. Currently connected to Sata 1, directly above is Sata 2.
I downloaded an Hitachi/IBM hard drive diagnostic program.Burnt it to a floppy and booted it.It gave 2 options:
1.To completely format the HD.
2.To repair damaged segments.

I opted for 2. It was taking quite a time so I left to its own devices.When I returned, I was given the option for an "advanced" scan and repair.When this completed I rebooted and everything worked fine.Also the HD was much quieter.
I was pretty sure the HD was finished, so was well pleased with the result.
Now I'm wondering what to do to back-up this HD.Another Sata HD or external HD.My son's computer has a western Digital 250GB HD and we are connected by LAN.As his is newer, we back-up on his.But I dont want to "over-load" his storage.
Many thanks for your reply.
Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.