Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Hitachi Sata 160 GB connected to the Sata IV socket.I want to add a Western Digital Sata HD and wondered which socket I need to use.I see there are Sata Primary and Secondary sockets.I'm sure the handbook that came with the muther board has this information but with a "fog index " of 9.6, I prefer someone to tell me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, manuals are not exactly user friendly these days.

First, you can't have primary and secondary if you have four sockets.

Secondly, with SATA there are no master channels, since each drive is on it's own cable.

So you can put any SATA drive on any SATA connector.

The only time that can vary is on premium boards that have 8 or 10 SATA connectors, and require different motherboard drivers intended for RAID.
But even then, it is still one SATA channel per cable/drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appologies for the Sata IV.I missread Sata 1.No idea why I read IV the first time. Currently connected to Sata 1, directly above is Sata 2.
I downloaded an Hitachi/IBM hard drive diagnostic program.Burnt it to a floppy and booted it.It gave 2 options:
1.To completely format the HD.
2.To repair damaged segments.

I opted for 2. It was taking quite a time so I left to its own devices.When I returned, I was given the option for an "advanced" scan and repair.When this completed I rebooted and everything worked fine.Also the HD was much quieter.
I was pretty sure the HD was finished, so was well pleased with the result.
Now I'm wondering what to do to back-up this HD.Another Sata HD or external HD.My son's computer has a western Digital 250GB HD and we are connected by LAN.As his is newer, we back-up on his.But I dont want to "over-load" his storage.
Many thanks for your reply.
Laurie

·
Registered
327 Posts
My best suggestion is for you to replace that drive with a new one, then reinstall Windows.

If you don't have your Windows disc, you could get Acronis backup software, and copy the old drive over to the new one.(cloning the drive)
The new one would then run just as if it were the old drive. All settings, programs, etc.

Acronis True Image 11.0 is $33 for the download version at Newegg.

If you decide to go that route, I can give you a walkthrough on using Acronis.
It only takes a few mouse clicks to clone the drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.