Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new system. Under BIOS 1003, everything was running fine, except some problems installing gentoo linux (problems with networking). So i aborted the install, and went to update the BIOS to 1004. I did this pulling the BIOS off of a USB keydrive, and using the ASUS support CD. The awdflash.exe BIOS update utility reported no problems while flashing the BIOS, and once complete asked me to press F1 to reset the computer (or somesuch, don't remember exact message, but it was the normal one).

The screen went blank and nothing happened. After several minutes, I used the reset button, and it went to the POST reporter, playing "System fails CPU test"

I've since tried:

Resetting the CMOS memory via the CLRTC1 jumper: no effect.
Running only a single processor, with only 2 512Mb RAM sticks: no effect (tried individually with each processor).
Running both processors, but with switched slots: no effect.
Activating the Crashfree BIOS 2 utility off of the ASUS support CD: no effect.

What's going on? And more importantly does anyone know how I can fix it?

The way I see it, the most likely thing that's happening is the BIOS installed correctly (or for some other reason doesn't activate the Crashfree BIOS 2 utility), and now doesn't recognize my processors? This would imply that either the BIOS is whacked, or that both of my processors were fried while flashing BIOS. I have a very hard time believing that both of my processors were fried by flashing BIOS, so that leads me to believe that the BIOS is defective. Is there a way I can bypass the POST recorder to regress the BIOS version back to 1003? Is something else going on?

My system stats:
ASUS K8N-DL Motherboard
2x AMD Opteron 248 CPUs
2x 1GB Dual Channel (2x 512Mb) Muskin PC 3200 ECC registered RAM
AOpen 6800GT Graphics Card
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Sound Card
Seagate 7200.8 250GB Harddrive
Silverstone Zeus 650W PSU
2x NEC CD/DVD writers

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

are you 100% sure your bios utility is Aflash ?????? is that in your mobo manual ?????

please post the asus website link for your mobo / the download link please / i cant find your mobo model in the download section of asus / what is the pin config for your cpu ????? 775 pin, 939 754 etc ???????

i would like to suggest a new bios flash but i cant find the download page for your mobo ????? :(

regards / joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't provide a direct link, but if you go to the download section of ASUS's support site, and select "Server" "Socket 940" and "K8N-DL" you'll get the page for my mobo.

Also, an update: I ordered a new pair of BIOS chips, one with version 1004 and one with 1003 from ASUS, thinking that mine just had a bad install or something. Neither of these new chips produces anything except "System fails CPU test..."

Did updating the BIOS on my mobo really kill both processors? The processors seem to be fine from a visual inspection.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Carp:

I have NEVER heard of a bios flash killing a CPU ! not even a bad bios flash.

have you tried clearing cmos after you installed new bios chip ??????

I would try diff memory / are you sure your memory is compatible with your mobo ?????? and did you install in the correct slots ~~ see manual

Your PSU is a high quality unit and plenty enough size / did you hear the "click" on the mobo / psu connectors when you latched them in / i have seen many bad connections that tricked people into thinking a component was bad.

Addendum: what is the model number of your PSU ???? by the sounds of your system specs I would say that a rather unique PSU is required

i.e. PSU Connector: SSI 24-pin + 12V 8-pin.
regards

joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, - I'm joining the party waaay late here seeing as all this was posted in 2005-2006 but I've just had the same problem happen on my K8N-DL and I'm completely out of options I think. After 3 years of perfect operation my board is giving a system failed cpu test warning at startup and goes no further. (I had a usb problem within the window environment and re-installed ide and bus software then from the startup screen attempted to flash BIOS aftr which it all went sideways on me)

I've sent it back to my supplier who could pinpoint nothing major except that either my mobo or CPU's are fied but I've seen from other posts that this is unlikely the case.

Did you guys ever find a resultion to re-setting the BIOS and getting the board running agian. (I just bought an MSI Master 2 FAR baord to replace the asus one but it's an ex-demo that's fitted with off-standard water cooling heatsink brackets so can't use it now or find a supplier for standard brackets.

Any help would be much appreciated on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.