Tech Support banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! My ASUS laptop developed a very strange and annoying problem for the last couple of months. When I start the laptop from a cold boot it takes a very long time ( raging between 5 to 15 mins ) to actually get to the Windows loading. I know when I first start to boot a pc it does it's checks ( the lights on the laptop blink in order) . Now it seems to be doing it's checks for 10 minutes straight. I attached a video with the behaviour. VIDEO The hard drive is not the problem as I replaced it with an SSD and has the exact same behaviour. Also the laptop wont restart, it need me to shut it off completely and the press the button again. After it opens it works fine. All my drives are on the lastest version, Win 10 also on latest update.

Do you guys have any ideea what could be the problem ?

Thank you extremly much for your help !

Cristian

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,302 Posts
Check in the UEFI to make sure the 1st choice is the SSD. It almost sounds like your optical drive is seeking a disc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Legacy, should i change to UEFI? I already checked, even disabled the optical. It use to do that sound only once to check if it s working , now it doesnt stop. Also the screen blinks.

·
27,302 Posts
Either way, check the booting order. Also, for now, in the Device Manager, disable the optical drive.

·
27,302 Posts
Before commenting further, I'd like for one of our Hardware guys listen to your video.

·
27,302 Posts
For only the restart problem, disable fast start in the Power Options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did disconnect my optical, same problem.
Hi. I watched your video but I was more concerned with the sound. I did notice that the sound it makes seems to sync with the optical drives access light, which would imply that there is a logic issue with the optical drive.

I know you said you disconnected it, but I want to make sure you mean disconnected the power cable and data cables. If you have done that, are you saying that the loud click at about 1 per second, in the video, continues?

Or does the sound stop, but your bootup is still very slow? If you would, I'd like to exclude the optical by removing the cables. Start and go straight into BIOS, restore BIOS defaults, save and exit. Let me know what happens..

·
Registered
24 Posts
You sure there's no stuck disc in there? I would just remove the drive completely, you probably hardly use it anymore. Just remove the one screw holding it in and slide it out. Then the BIOS won't even look at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts