Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like to know what temperature of this gpu is still acceptable when overclocking? And how far can one overclock by just using the standard cooling.

I tried the following (with coolbits):

430 --> 470
1200 --> 1280

And this (470 - 1280) overclock resulted in gpu temps around 80 degrees celsius while running 3dmark 2005 (which resulted in a score of just above 8000) on my X2 4200+ a8n-sli-deluxe - 1gb dual corsair twinx (2-3-3-6) and raptor 74gb bootdisk.

Anyone else got some experience or wise words to tell because I like to know if it can be pushed any further without damaging anything or am I already at the max (or maybe over the maximum)? It all seemed to work without any noticable artifacts but I don't know if 80 degrees celsius is too much or normal.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I can't recommend OC'ing at all. And I feel that your temps are a bit too high to be safe. The GTX is already insanely fast, why ruin it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ebackhus said:
I can't recommend OC'ing at all. And I feel that your temps are a bit too high to be safe. The GTX is already insanely fast, why ruin it?
True, a GTX is fast as it is and I probably wouldnt touch it myself, but thats not really what he asked for is it? :sayyes: Anyhow, I wouldn't push the card any further. If you do want to pursue faster speeds, I'd recommend a new heatsink. Also, you could try improving your case air flow by simply adding more fans and organizing your cables with zip ties etc. Good luck. The 7800GTX is a beast :grin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
ebackhus said:
It's our policy to NOT give advice on anything that can harm the user's PC.
Oh, I'm sorry, was under the impression overclocking would be alright as long as the user understands the risks involved.

G

·
I second not recommending OC. But it is a challenge. It takes knowledge and skills. Risky. I dont give any support about OverClocking because i do not want to feel responsible. I like seeing positive results :) There are overclocking pros and i am sure they can advise you the most up to date and least risky actions and settings here Take your time and read a lot and do not do anything untill you feel %100 confident. Prefer tried and tested settings. On the other hand your system is not a bad system you dont really need OC.

Good Luck

Regards.

·
Registered
209 Posts
with my 6200 i found a better way to overclock, since overheating tends to slow it down, i found the point of overclocking where i got max fps in bf2. when it got too hot, i started getting less fps, so i left it at what ended about 6% overclocking, but i did gain afew fps. remember you gotta keep all the variables the same...

at 80C underclocking may gain fps for you. it depends how your video card responds to heat...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ok; I didn't know it was the policy of this board to not give advice which could possibly harm the computer. Well that's fine :)

I've read some good info on lots of other sites but I'd like to have all sorts of opinions that's why I also made a thread here.

Also on reviews of the 7800GTX they talk about 80 degrees on heavy load with the stock cooler.. so it can't be a bad thing because out of the box this card tends to get this hot at maximum load (during heavy gaming or benchmarking). So that 's not a problem I think. Also nvidia's treshold in the display properties is set to 115 degrees celsius; at this treshold the card will automatically throttle down to a lower clock speed in order to not damage the card.. so that's cool too :)

Well I'm gonna read some more on that overclock.net website.

thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fredd-E said:
benchmarking). Also nvidia's treshold in the display properties is set to 115 degrees celsius; at this treshold the card will automatically throttle down to a lower clock speed in order to not damage the card.. so that's cool too :)

thanks
I think the above says it all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.