Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! I've got a DVD-RW Asus model DRW-1608P, I've had it for a few months now, and I cannot make it to work correctly. It ruins almost every DVD writing session rendering the DVD disks unusable. I'm using Nero 6 and during the wrinting session it says "communication error with Asus DRW 1608p - session failed!" . Finally, I found 2 brands of disk that would work, but they are the lowest quality possible, good brands like Traxdata, TDK, Sony etc.... never work! I' ve had no problems with CDs though, it burns all of them well.
I've updated the firmware to the newest available on the Asus site but it changed nothing :4-dontkno Furthermore yesterday my Asus wouldn't read a DVD disk writen by itself just to days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Zoli77
Hey Welcome :smile:
Here's what Nero has to say about 'Communication failure'. Try some of those fixes....80-wire cable/DMA.
Finding quality media is a difficult task these days. Since your ASUS is based on the Pioneer 109, you might want to have a look around the Pioneer Forum at CDFreaks to see what media works best for your drive.
Sometimes just deleting the IDE channel that the ASUS resides on and rebooting to let windows redetect the drive can solve disc recognition problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for these tips, I was thinking that the thing is out of order and I may have to claim waranty, but I'll try these things

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want to start my own topic so i'm posting in here.

My neighbour got the asus drw-1608p, the problem is that the hardware keeps disapearing.....when booting up it's on the list but as soon windows(xp) starts up......wich takes a while...it's not there.
so before windows started i've disabled the asus dvd burner en than windows will start verly quick again.
I've send my neighbour back to the shop with it cause it's new....and they made him pay a fee because they claim there is nothing wrong with it.
when we started it back up it had returned so that probably happend in the shop as well......but what do you know it's gone again.
so i pulled the plug incase the the power disconnection had something to do with(i'm willing to try anything)and when starting up windows came up really quick again and we had the burner back......this unfortunantly didn't last long.
tried to burn something with nero but i cancelled that job cause i didn't get a option i wanted to do...and when i cancelled and closed nero.....guess what....the computer can't find the dvdburner anymore......i even did a hardware search...but it acts like it doesn't excist.
any idea what the problem is?(sorry for this book i wrote)
appreciate all the help i can get,
Strict9 :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ strict9
Welcome :smile:
Can you post a Nero Infotool output from the neighbors' Nero toolkit. Run the tool, then click the diskette icon in the infotool toolbar and save as a .txt file, making sure all 8 boxes are checked. Attach to post using the 'manage attachments' button in the 'go advanced' reply window.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You might check and see if your HDD and the burner are on the same cable.
If they are leave the HDD on the IDE-0 and get another 80 wire cable on attach it to IDE-1. This is assuming you only have 1 HDD and 1 burner. By having them on separate Channels the data transfer is faster. :sayyes:
You will want to make the burner Master or cable select.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks a lot

hi,
thanks guys but your effort went to waiste...my neighbour took it back to the shop and they claimed it was nero that was causing the problems....something about incd.....anyway they took the software off....
and now the computer starts up as it is suppose to.
had a quick look at it.......windows xp denies me acces to burn cd's yet...but thats probably under properties or something.....
anyway thanks for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.