Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am building a system I have a 939 Dual core AMD, Corsair ram, and a antec 550w psu. When you press the on button it turns on then it fades and turns off. I am not sure it if the psu works right..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

How long does it stay on. What runs when it turns on and for how long. Does it come on, fans spin, lights come on, and then it all just shuts down? If that is what it does, take it out of the case and start with just minimal parts on a non-conductive surface like a piece of cardboard.

Hook up only ATX connector
12 Volt Molex to motherboard
CPU/Heatsink/Fan connected to motherboard
Off/On switch hooked up
Speaker wire hooked up
1 stick of memory (check manual for correct slot)

Special Note: Don't connect anything else up at this point.

Take it a test run and see if it stays on and report back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about the wait

Yeah I took it out put on stick in and heatsink and cpu, power, speaker 12volt, it still seems to power up for about a second and then turns it's self off, I hooked up a 550-watt to it and it still didn't turn on, just in case the case is the tricod console case, I changed the power supply but nothing..

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

What kind of thermal solution did you use between the heatsink and CPU? Did you use ARtic Silver,the factory pad or none of the listed?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
remove the motherboard from the case place it on a card board box / then connect the PSU, one stick of ram (read mobo manual for which slot must be used for single stick operation)

is the cpu heatsink fan wire connected to the motherboard CPU fan header????

thermal paste @ cpu ?????

video card installed ???? (remove it while outside the case, look at it closely and garbage in the slot like chips of plastic)

the two pins that are normally occupied by the case switch will need to be touched for a brief second with a small bladed precision screw driver to start the board

dotn forget to connect the monitor to the video card

does it go to bios screen during this "bench test"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay its artic freeze, for thermal paste, I have it on a card board peice, it still isn't booting fully its just on then as it turns on it fades off. I don't have the video card it. I'll try it right now..

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you have the four pin CPU power plug connected ????? the square four pin plug with a snap latch ????? many guys mistake the four pin cpu power with the detachable four pin plug that comes from the 20+4 main motherboard connector ????? I have seen this mistake four times now, and I only service computers as a hobby!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

Please claify. You say you have the artic freeze on a cardboard piece? I just want to make sure it is on something that came with your Heatsink and not something else. Are we correct that this is the FACTORY thermal pad and not another cardboard piece in there? This could be a key consideration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cardboard piece? I use artic silver a factory thermal paste, oh I see yes there is no cardboard peice in the heatsink, and yes I have all the power connected correctly. Four plug cpu power, and main power install and all the clips are fully on, I am sorry for not getting back sooner I didn't get a message saying you guys responded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes

I just did, thought of that yesturday, got the antec trio 650, my tester says it works as it should. yet still no boot..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.