Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've got some serious problems with my ide controller on my a8n-sli deluxe.

First, my computer parts

AMD X2 4200+ Manchester (512kb cache)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
ASUS EN7800GTX
1GB Corsair TwinX 3200 CL2
WD RAPTOR 74GB 10000rpm (sata1)
MAXTOR 300GB 7200rpm (sata2)
NEC DVDRW (secondary ide) (jumper = master)
PIONEER DVD (primary ide) (jumper = master)

Problems

The primary ide connector doesn't seem to work; nothing gets recognized in the bios/windows when there is something (cd, dvd, harddisk) plugged in.
Secondary ide controller also behaves weird now (I managed to install windows earlier); when a cd/dvd gets inserted the nec dvdrw, the drive starts spinning a lot and then "My Computer" freezes until I remove the cd/dvd. I can't install anything anymore.

I think there is something wrong with the motherboard's IDE controller.
All the rest (the usb, the post messages, the lan connections, ...) on the motherboard seem to be ok though.
Also the rest of the computer seems to be working perfectly. I also tried a game (doom3) on max settings and the computer remained stable and the gpu works like it should work at the moment.

So the problem is that the primary ide doesn't recognize anything at all and even though the secondary ide recognizes my nec dvdrw still it behaves rather weird in windows... also the pioneer dvd (on primary ide) makes a lot of typical eject noises in windows without a reason and on random moments too (seems like the controller is commanding the dvd reader to randomly eject) ...

Could it be that the ide controller is dodgy/broken and should be replaced or could there be something else?

Thanks in advance... it's rather frustrating because the rest of my new computer seems to work properly.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

First lets start out with / did you install your chipset drivers (its a .inf driver) on the mobo cd ????? without that driver the main controller chipset is going to run like crap ???????

2) sounds like you have a compatability issue between the cd-rom drive & dvd drive did you set one of them to master and the other to slave ????

cables for the rom drives / did you use the secondary IDE channel for the rom drives and did you use the secondary cable supplied with your mobo "kit" ????

I would clear the CMOS then restore bios defaults ~~ but make sure you write down your custom bios & sata controller settings before doing so ????

check these things out and keep us posted of any findings

regards

joe

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Fredd-E
Welcome :smile:
From past experience troubleshooting DVD burners, I have seen conflicts concerning the Nvidia drivers and dvd burners that was often solved by installing the microsoft IDE drivers. Give that a try if nothing else works.
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I had a simular problem on an abit sli board it would not see the drive on the primary as a master, as a slave it was ok, Turned out he drive was bad (New drive to)? When it was hooked as master the bios would only show (primary IDE ########).and nothing after that. Point it could be a bad drive.
But it sound like you may have a flakie board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
linderman said:
Welcome to TSF:
1) First lets start out with / did you install your chipset drivers (its a .inf driver) on the mobo cd ????? without that driver the main controller chipset is going to run like crap ???????
Yes, I installed the latest chipset drivers; I even downloaded the very latest one from the asus website (chipset drivers v6.65) and they installed the nforce ide drivers.. zo that should be ok but still no dice. I also flashed my bios from 1013 to 1014; also no dice.

linderman said:
2) sounds like you have a compatability issue between the cd-rom drive & dvd drive did you set one of them to master and the other to slave ????
Both of them are on seperate cables and both of them are set to master; like it's supposed to be on seperate cables and like it was in my old computer (and there it worked like a charm).

writer : secondary - jumper set to master
dvd reader : primary - jumper set to master

linderman said:
3) cables for the rom drives / did you use the secondary IDE channel for the rom drives and did you use the secondary cable supplied with your mobo "kit" ????

I would clear the CMOS then restore bios defaults ~~ but make sure you write down your custom bios & sata controller settings before doing so ????
I used my rounded cables from my previous computer and they work so there is no problem with the cables. I also used the cables delivered with my Asus board but no dice either...

The thing is when I plug the writer in the primary ide connector with the same cable then it won't get recognized by the bios but if I plug that same writer with the same cable in the secondary ide connector then it works. So it really has to be a faulty primary ide connector?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
please said:
@ Fredd-E
Welcome :smile:
From past experience troubleshooting DVD burners, I have seen conflicts concerning the Nvidia drivers and dvd burners that was often solved by installing the microsoft IDE drivers. Give that a try if nothing else works.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Hi,

but those windows drivers don't have anything to do with the bios, or do they?
The problem isn't only in windows but in the bios itself.

Even without a windows installation my drives won't get recognized on the primary ide connector and regarding my past experience they should all be visible in the bios even if there isn't a harddisk plugged in my computer.

And my dvdwriter on the secondary ide seems to be working for now (it seems to be random) BUT the primary ide connector still doesn't do anything at all...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldmn said:
I had a simular problem on an abit sli board it would not see the drive on the primary as a master, as a slave it was ok, Turned out he drive was bad (New drive to)? When it was hooked as master the bios would only show (primary IDE ########).and nothing after that. Point it could be a bad drive.
But it sound like you may have a flakie board.
Both drives worked in my previous computer. They worked the day before and they still work in another computer so it can't be a bad drive...

And the fact that the dvdwriter gets recognized on the secondary ide connector and not on the primary ide connector explains that the drive isn't faulty but that there has to be something wrong with the primary ide...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
linderman said:
sounds like a bad mobo
i'm afraid so yes... it's a real **** to turn in my whole computer for some days to the shop, just because of this problem... all the rest on the motherboard seems to be in perfect order... all my other new stuff (processor, gpu, ram, harddisks,...) all are in perfect order too...

blegh :(

but doesn't it seem awkward that only this from the mobo seems to be broken and nothing else on the mobo? I've never experienced such a thing...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Have you tried running your Optical drive as a slave? check out your manual on pg 2-20 It mentions Optical as slaves and HDD as masters (notice they have ths cable colors backwords). The Abit Sli board that I had the optical would not run as Master at all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Fredd-E
...trying microsoft drivers for the IDE couldn't hurt at this point...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received a new motherboard. The first one seemed to be broken.

Everything is fine now.

thanks for the information everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.