Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time on the boards here.

Iv got an interesting problem here that has stumped me. Ill give you my related specs then explain the problem and what im trying to accomplish.

cpu: AMD A64 3200+
ram:Corsiar XMS pc4400 2.5-4-4-8 (4x512)
Mobo: Asus A8n SLI Deluxe bios 1013
HDD: WD raptor sata 74gb 10krpm

THats all i think that could have any effect.

PROBLEM:
I just got the 2gbs of corsair ram from newegg and installed it, i cant for some reason boot windows when i have 2gb of RAM running on my machine when the ram is running at about 235mhz or over. I'm running windows xp had SP2 and it gave me an error message that said my C:/windows/system32/config/system file was either missing or corrupt. SO i tried to repair it and got knocked back to SP1 and still getting the same error message when i have my ram running at ~235mhz or higher. I can take out 1gb and just run the other gb of ram at its rated 270mhz just fine, i checked both gbs of ram with memtest86 and they are fine but together they get errors like crazy when running at rated speeds. Is this a motherboard problem? Is it not able to handle maybe the bandwith of that much memory at that speed? its the only think i can think that would be wrong. Any help anyone could give would be much appriciated. Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I have been told by more than one person (I use one gig in mine) that there are some ASUS boards that will not handle 2 gigs without a BIOS revision that is not out yet. Don't know if that applies to this board, but thought I should mention that........that stinks in my opinion, but the way it is from what I have been told. ASUS is winning a lot of repeat customers with stuff like that....NOT!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you mean 2gb of ram in general? or 2gb of ram at high speeds like 270mhz, because it will run fine with 2gb of ram at speeds of 235mhz or lower. Do you remember them mentioning anything about speed being a factor not just size?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.