Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted back a couple months ago about the same problem basically. You can view that here http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=52960 I have yet to change the heatsink. As said before I keep my pc running 24/7 and about 3 weeks ago my pc just shutdown/rebooted itself. No weird fan noises this time, no freezing, just shutdown and rebooted back up. After that I decided I'll buy a heatsink(thinking most def this is the prob) in the next couple of days but I still want my pc running so I put a normal sized fan(took out my case covering) and let it blow into the pc. 2 weeks everything was going good until today when the problem of shutting down happened again. After it booted back up 15 minutes into working it happened once again. I was told it could be the power supply(350 watts) and that heatsinks doesn't really go bad and maybe I should try installing more fans. I was also told this is normal because I keep my pc running for long periods of time. I'm pretty sure my memory is fine and is intact. These are my details right now with the normal size fan blowing according to Everest
Before I put the fan in my CPU was around 150 *F. I'm not sure exactly the temp but it was hot. What could be the real problem? If you need more specs tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

150 degress F = 65C = way too hot !!

please post your complete system specs including PSU make & model

what is the status of your cpu cooler ???? stock or upgrade version >> if upgrade please give model #

what is the status of thermal grease ???????? what grease have you used and are you experienced at installing thermal grease on a successful installation ????

case fans = please describe your current set-up

regards

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an ATX 12V Power Model # KY-450ATX
AC output current |+3.3V | +5V | +12V | -5V | -12V | +5Vsb
10A/5A...............| 24.0A|27.0A| 10.0A| 0.5A| 0.8A | 2.0A

Total output wattage = 350 Watt

How do I find out cpu cooler information? I never upgraded.
I haven't used any thermal grease.

Right now the only fans I have are the one for the psu and the one blowing into the heatsink. My cpu case can fit an additional 2 fans if needed.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Trex:

You power supply appears to be a very weak unit / you should have a PSU with at least 19 amps on each of the 12V rails for the more up to date systems.

I would strongly advise you invest in a good PSU, case fans and a after market cpu cooler / high temps put alot of stress on PC componets and they wont last long ! heat is a real killer ~~~~

I suggest for PSU either a Enermax or Antec TRU Power / get at least a 500 watt PSU 550 is better / for the price its hard to beat the Antec Tru Power 2 - 550 watt for about $100.00 this unit can also control the speed of the added case fans ???? The Enermax label is a better PSU but CAN cost a few bucks more too / check on ebay for prices comparision / I have bought some damn good used PSU's lately on ebay from some upgrading gamers / I love those guys they upgrade equipment like baseball cards !!

Case fans = same old same old = biggger is better will your case fit 120mm fans ?????? if not add two 80 mm case fans / both blowing OUT the best situtation is to create a negative air environment within the case / you want more air blowing out than mechanically blowing in / by the use of this method new cooler air will enter the case on its own by just physics (atmospheric pressure) the two case fans will blow hot air out of the case
Thermaltake and thermalright make good quality case fans

last but not least = aftermarket CPU cooler a really good unit is made by Zalman the 7000 & 7700 sereis = easy to install - yet very effective - big foot print though (needs alot of room - check their website for mobo compatability and the install movie clip !!) - check these out on ebay too around $40.00

Artic Silver 5 thermal paste / much better than the stock grease / cost = under $8.00 small tube

all together youre looking at spending around $160.00 for an extreme make over LOL

if you dont address the heat problem you will be shopping for a CPU video card and maybe even a new mobo or hard drive :(
dont hesitate to ask questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate all the help so far. I was afraid I was gonna need to spend quite a few bucks and I was also planning on adding more memory might have to put that on hold. Here's some pics of how my pc is setup right now:

Big fan
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4297/dscf00165fm.jpg

Inside the madness
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5145/dscf00172dn.jpg

Case I took out
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1614/dscf00187nb.jpg

Would you recommend I get a new heatsink? Or just add new fans and get a new psu?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
great pics !!!

I would replace the stock heatsink& fan with a Zalman unit / but that yur call you could do that last ???? after you check to see how good things get after installing new PSU and case fans (install new fans blowing out both of them!!)

measure the distance between the holes (kiddie corner) for the case fans on your removable cover and we will be able to determine wether to order 80 mm fans or 120mm fans the holes to measure would be like at 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock orientations

nice case / plenty of room to install almost anything / even the bigfoot (zalman 7000) wont be in the way of anything !!

it also looks to me like you could install fans in front of your hard drive area where all the circular perferations are located if you want to get real radical

I wont tell anyone how many fans I have / they would commit me to the bughouse !! :)

regards

joe

regards

joe

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
You definitely need to get some thermal paste between the CPU core and
the heat sink or you wont get proper heat transfer.
It will definitely get that temperature down.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I agree with LEROY 100% / get some artivc silver 5 (ebay) and clean off old thermal grease with goof-off (any hardware or paint store will have goof-off)

go to artic silver website and see instruction on how to CORRECTLY install thermal grease / a little bit about the size of a piece of white rice / evenly spread accross the heat sink with an index card / then re-install your stock cooler / I redo my thermal grease every 6 months / how about the rest of you guys ?????

regards / joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great post, very useful to me 'cos my PSU died there's 2 weeks ago, and I cleaned up all the stuff inside my tower.

Was the first time I unplugged ALL components before full reassembly (I ordered a new PSU but am still waiting for delivery)...

This unit was way too loud, so I decided to improve noisy parts, starting with an Hiper HPU-4R480 PSU, which appears to be a great value added element regarding to all the benchs I found in France & Belgium (and regarding to the OEM Premier LC-A300ATX!) :sayyes:

I'll change my case fans later, it's a pity too... :sad:

Be carefull with thermal paste, there must be a processor/cooler contact if you don't want a chip BBQ: my brother-in-law only saw the BIOS with a brand new chip (fresh meat at least!) :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have an additional 2 fans I bought awhile ago(they're about 3 1/8 inches) so I'm guessing they're 80mm? I also purchased a 550 watt Antec Tru Power PSU used on ebay. I hope this works out good for me. I will definately try out the thermal grease. Will update you on my situation after I receive the PSU and if I need further help. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.