anyway....

I turn it on and
1) fans (CPU, video card) turn
2) hard drives start making noise/moving
3) dvd door opens/shuts
4) green light on motherboard is lit up

but nothing else
NO BEEPS...
Nothing appears on monitor (so I can't get into Bios)
any ideas?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Try reseating all of your components in your system, CPU, Ram, power connectors, AGP, PCI, etc. Right off the top I would say that your video card is not seated correctly. But anyway give that a try and let us know what you find. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even with NO video card, I don't get a beep.

I should get 1 long, 3 short for video card missing

but nothing

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok have you tested this video card in another machine to see if it (and the monitor) works? Also have you reseated all the connectors and devices as I suggested? I ask this because about a month ago I installed some Ram in a system for a family member and had the same problem. Turns out that the Ram was not properly seated. When I tried to boot the system I encountered the same situation that you are describing. The one thing I find odd about all this is that your DVD player is opening and shutting when you hit the power button. It shouldn't be doing that, in fact just to be on the safe side disconnect the DVD player completely and then try booting up again. I don't think this is the problem, but that DVD player is acting strange. The DVD player door is opening and closing on it's own correct?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I assumed Skylark was just telling us the DVD player has power, that s/he'd pressed the eject button to see if the player was live or not, which it was.

Skylark, we're hearing that many of these mobos don't beep, or do it only intermittently. I don't know why. But there's another feature on yours, which might help: vocal POST messages (see manual section 3.2). I think you might have to plug headphones into the mobo's line-out jack in order to hear the messages, or maybe hook it up to an external stereo amp.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

Hi, I have the same mobo and processor and I am having the same problem. Have you resolved this issue? Thanks Alex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reseat Fan/Heatsink

I have had this problem twice when seating the heatsink/fan with ASUS boards. It's a simple matter of simply reseating the heatsink/fan properly. If you are using a CPU guard, get rid of it, since this can sometimes prevent the heatsink from making contact with the CPU die. If anything else were the culprit (like your video or ram), you would be receiving beep error codes. Use a good thermal paste as well, like Arctic Silver Ceramique. If you are using a thermal pad that has already partially molded/melted to the bottom of the heatsink and cpu die, peel it off with a hobby knife (be careful not to scratch or make indentations on the surface of heatsink and cpu). Use alchohol for cleaning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Asus A7n8x deluxe and I had the same problem - no beeps. I tried reseated heatsink and it is working now. Thank you for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.