Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a laptop with the following problem: McAfee claims that a "Pup" (I can't think of what the acronym means now but it means something like a malicious program) named dialer-269 with the files 1iep5o6.exe, 44wmcuj6.exe, and b9485gk.exe has been downloaded to the \document and settings\user_name\local\settings\temp folder. McAfee could not remove the program. I booted the PC in Safe Mode for Admin and the user with the problem, ran McAfee, HiJackthis, Adaware, ewido, spybot and Spyware Doctor. I also ran the programs in XP including XoftSpy and CWShredder. The apps did not mention dialer-269. I also searched the Registry and could not find the program. I havent noticed anything odd going on with the laptop. Any other suggested apps should be run before I reload the laptop's image or could the program be removed? What does dialer-269 do? I searched McAfee's web site and it did not describe what problems the virus/spyware cause. TIA

·
Registered
31 Posts
The best solution I can think of right now is clear your temporary files. Use the path you wrote earlier, click Ctrl+A (to select all files in your Temp folder) and then delete everything. After you're clean (scan with McAffee), you should get a better antivirus (that's just my oppinion). I would reccomend F-Secure AV 2005, it's free to use for a whole month at full functionality and you can update the definitions too in this period, plus it comes with Internet Security and AntiSpyware addons (identical to AdAware - the AntiSpyware is made by Lavasoft, just like AdAware).

Lots of luck in getting rid of your little dialer there !

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Please do not install another anti virus program unless you frist uninstall your current one. Installing more than one on a system can cause conflicts and system slow downs.

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! (Alternate Link if main link don't work) and install it.
Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:

*Click "Options..."
*Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
*Put a check next to the following:
Empty Recycle Bins
Delete Cookies
Delete Prefetch files
[X]Scan local drives for temporary files (Please uncheck this option)
Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I noticed that F-Secure AV 2005 wants me to uninstall McAfee before it gets installed. I am thinking maybe I should just reload the laptop image. That way I know the virus/spyware is gone; that is if its still on the laptop. This is confusing... :4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Thats totally your choice, if you do decide to re-image I suggest making sure you fdisk the drive to make sure there is nothing left on it, just formatting may leave traces

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.