Tech Support banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Optiplex 3050 Mini Tower and I want to add Wireless/Bluetooth.

From Dell forums, the following has been identified:-
Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Wireless Card (2x2), MU-MIMO
Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3165 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Wireless Card (1x1)

Is there anything else I need to purchase and could you tell me where it is actually connected.

Also, which is the better of the two above.

Tommy

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,463 Posts
There's 2 form factors.....USB and PCI/PCIe. With the USB you can connect it to the fron or back of PC. With the PCI/PCIe card....that gets installed internally, to an available PCI/PCIe slot on mobo.

I just picked up one of these from BestBuy. It doesn't have BT. All I had to do to set it up was insert provided DVD with driver/software package and then it told me to plug in the USB device. Pretty easy and straight forware.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-WiFi-USB-Adapter/dp/B07P388DBG

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bassfisher6522

I'm actually looking for bluetooth as a first preference and don't want to have to buy a dongle.

As I'm looking for an internal addition, I will also add wireless at the same time.

I'm afraid I know nothing about connections (or if I need to add other items e.g. aerial), hence my earlier post.

Tommy

·
2,463 Posts
Your 2 intel products are both PCI cards. So you would have to open the case and insert them into a available slot. Since you have a Dell Optiplex mini tower....I'm not sure what you have free on the inside. You'll need to check that out before purchasing.

·
2,463 Posts
Yes sir....thank you. Here you go

I don't know about the brand.....but that card is PCIe X 1 and you system has 3 available PCIe X1 slots. I would install it on the last/bottom slot.

20200629_134227 Copy.jpg

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bassfisher6522

One last question, is there normally a wired power connection or does that come through the standard connection (sorry if that's a silly question)

Tommy

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,361 Posts
Thanks bassfisher6522

One last question, is there normally a wired power connection or does that come through the standard connection (sorry if that's a silly question)

Tommy
No wired power connection. The card will draw all the power it needs directly through the PCIE slot. The Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8265 Wi-Fi + BT 4.2 Wireless Card (2x2), MU-MIMO is superior of the two. Whether that means better performance depends on your needs and infrastructure. The card will need antennas such as these, if the package you buy doesn't come with them. The antenna connectors on the card are unmistakable.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,361 Posts
That cable connects to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. If your PC has a front panel with USB ports, then one of the cables from the front panel connects to a USB header on the motherboard. That cable (which came with the adapter card) also needs to be connected to such a header for its bluetooth radio to work. It has 9 pins, but one of the pins is blank. Likewise, one of the holes on the black connector of the cable is closed, so there should be no mistaking how the connector goes in. If your PC has only one USB header and it's already occupied, you will have to either get a usb header splitter or disconnect the front panel USB cable. This means the front panel usb ports will not work anymore. The image below shows you what a usb 2.0 header on the motherboard looks like.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everything installed and working perfectly.

Stancestans and bassfisher6522 - your continued support is very much appreciated.

Tommy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts