13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stats:

Motherboard: Asrock ConRoe945g-dvi

Hard Drive: Maxtor 80gb

Processor: Intel Dual Core

DVD: Generic Philips

Video: nVidia Geforce 6800GT

So, this motherboard has been one giant nightmare. First the hard drive wouldn't work (this problem was fixed), and now, not only are the usb ports not recognized (none, not even the usb 2.0 for the front panel), but it seems that the audio codecs designed for the motherboard don't work. Nor does the onboard ethernet. I had to salvage a 3rd party lan card from my gf's old comp.

I've tried using the support cd that came with the motherboard, but all that gave me was the chipset drivers. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Well, IMHO the answer is "NO," the AsRock boards are not as good as they say. I think their quality is rather low and they just are not up to the major boards like ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI, etc.

With the USB problem, do you have SP2 loaded? Have you enabled the USB items in the Bios? Have you checked the device manager for red or yellow marks?

Start there and see where this one goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, I forgot the OS. It's XP Pro SP2. And in terms of the usb, I feel like an idiot...sort of. The usb configuration was disabled in BIOS; why, I don't know, but it was.

Now all that remains is the sound issue; or lack there of. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

Well, we are making progress anyhow. Glad you got your USB working. Now, with the sound area. Go to the device manager and look to see if you have any red or yellow marks that indicates a driver problem. Also, you are using onboard sound aren't you? What sound card is in that board? You did load the sound drivers off the motherboard disk, didn't you??????

Post back with questions/concerns?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, it's onboard sound. All the thing says in the specs is "7.1 Channel with High Definition Audio". The first thing I checked when it wasn't working was the device manager. No yellow or red marks.

The only thing on the Motherboard disk even related to drivers is for the chipset, and I've already installed that. Everything else is third-party software, and the manual.

If I'm missing anything, let me know, please :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
ASUS all the way... for me... however there are some other very good motherboard companies... i wouldn't say AsRock is among them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just tried the driver update linked by Tumbleweed36, and it still doesn't work...

*sigh* I think I'm just going to have to give in and buy a 3rd party sound card. Or ask a friend if they have one lying around. On the plus side, the graphics on the comp are beautiful...I'm jealous of my gf now...

Thank you guys for all the help :tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.