Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I understand, in order for a program to benefit from dual-core processors, it has to be written specifically to take advantage of them (by, for example, determining how data is shared between the cores), otherwise the program will recognize only one of the cores, thus negating the advantage of having a dual-core processor.

My question is, are the latest computer games being designed to take advantage of dual-core processors? Should this be a consideration when buying or building a new gaming machine?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Turbokat
dual core games . I would say if you are buying a system now, and not going to upgrade or buy another in 3-4-5 years(when dual-core games and programs will be plentiful), get the dual-core now. If you upgrade frequently, then a single-core CPU will be fine until you upgrade in another year...most big next-gen games will be dual-core spec.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you got the money, go dual core now and not have to upgrade later when all the multi-threaded games come out. Just make sure to get an Athlon X2 not a Pentium D...because Pentium D's suck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
idk about the duel cores but i think the PS3 and the cell processor is going to be awsome has ne1 seen the Metal gear solid 4 play on it or killzone 2 alot better then the xbox 360 stuff ive seen and MGS4 isant pre rendered and neither was Killzone 2

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The 'spammer' comment wasn't aimed at you, it was the poster above who has been repeatedly spamming the forums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
crazijoe said:
This I can attest to.

This I cannot attest to because I am not an AMD fan.
I actually dislike AMD. They have no middle-of-the-road processors. Only cheap and expensive. All my rigs are Intel and probably will always be Intel unless I am awarded some huge amount of money for something and can afford good AMD processors.

But face it though, the AMD X2's KILL the Pentium D's. Its not even close.

But the dual-core Yonah's will kill the X2's.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
TheGooseyOne said:
But face it though, the AMD X2's KILL the Pentium D's.
The price also kills Pentium Ds.

TheKolkster said:
That is the uncoolest thing I have ever heard.
I had tried and switched to AMD not once but twice in the past because the price of Intel was just to exorbant. Both times (K6-2 500MHz & Athlon 1.1GHz) left sour grapes in my stomach for the brand. The reliability just could cut it. After being burnt twice, it's hard for me to try it again.
An Intel CPU paired up with an Intel chipset MB will give you a rock solid machine.
Even though I like a fast ship, for what I do, reliability outweighs speed.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
that's funny, my story would be the oppsosite....

having used amd most of my computer life, the few times i have tried out intel's they left me hating intel...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.