Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a problem all of a sudden with my main rig that I use all the time. I've had it in its current setup for over a year with no previous problems and I've been using a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card the entire time (plus it was in an older system for about 6 months prior). I was playing Fable the other day and all of a sudden the graphics went nuts, artifacts and weird stuff all over the screen. And then I noticed it was that way for any game, as well as during the Windows XP loading screen and the initial bios screen (everything else in XP ran fine though). I hadn't touched the computer internally for a couple months. I reseated the card and checked to make sure nothing was touching it and the problem persisted. I have tried different Omega drivers and ATI drivers, but each time I restart then I get a blank screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Then I have to start in safe mode and roll back the drivers. Since this just happened all of a sudden I'm wondering if my video card is dying, despite it being about only two years old. Could this be the case? Any suggestions? The rest of the rig is: Gigabyte 8IPE-1000 mobo, 2x512 Apacer RAM, 3 GHz Prescott P4, Antec 550, 2 optical drives, 2 HD (1 SATA, 1 not), and Audigy 2. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Hmm, this is trange. Considering how long it's been working I'm ruling out power issues, unless you've added lotsa new hardware since installing the card. To be certian try unplugging a few devices and seeing how far you get.

If that's not the problem you can try running with side panel off and and small fan blowing over the card.

Beyond that you can download ATiTool and use that to underclock the card.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only added a SATA hard drive in the lifetime of this computer and that was about 6 months ago. I've tried unplugging drives and what not and other cards, but no luck. I've been running with side panel off and fans blowing on it, thinking it may be overheating, but no luck. I've also tried underclocking the card with the tools Gigabyte provides, but no luck.

I should also add that I ran DirectX tests. It looked fine for all DirectDraw tests, and it passed the Direct3D 7 test. However, the Direct3D 8 and 9 tests had artifacts. That made me think it may be something screwing up between the drivers and DirectX or something. But, then that doesn't explain why I see artifacts on the bios screen and the XP loading screen. Odd that it just happened all of a sudden.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the only other thing i could think of is a surge that your powersupply took a hit from, it might not be able to supply as even of power, maybe swap another one in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was about to start asking around for a card that I could try. But, I tried one last thing...I enabled "enumerate ramp rasterizer" and "enumerate reference rasterizer" and "maximum validation" in the Direct3D options from the DirectX control panel link. I have no clue what those things mean. As of now, all games and such are running fine with no artifacts. I wonder if it will be short-lived, however, because there are still artifacts in the initial bios screen and the XP loading screen. I will post back if this problem returns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
forzalazio31 said:
Hi, I have a problem all of a sudden with my main rig that I use all the time. I've had it in its current setup for over a year with no previous problems and I've been using a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card the entire time (plus it was in an older system for about 6 months prior). I was playing Fable the other day and all of a sudden the graphics went nuts, artifacts and weird stuff all over the screen. And then I noticed it was that way for any game, as well as during the Windows XP loading screen and the initial bios screen (everything else in XP ran fine though). I hadn't touched the computer internally for a couple months. I reseated the card and checked to make sure nothing was touching it and the problem persisted. I have tried different Omega drivers and ATI drivers, but each time I restart then I get a blank screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Then I have to start in safe mode and roll back the drivers. Since this just happened all of a sudden I'm wondering if my video card is dying, despite it being about only two years old. Could this be the case? Any suggestions? The rest of the rig is: Gigabyte 8IPE-1000 mobo, 2x512 Apacer RAM, 3 GHz Prescott P4, Antec 550, 2 optical drives, 2 HD (1 SATA, 1 not), and Audigy 2. Thanks.

I have a very similar problem and after fighting with the card for several days, I've determined that it IS the card and I'm buying a GeForce 6800.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured it was damaged pixel pipelines, too. As long as it works, though, with those DirectX settings changed, I'll keep using it. Games are running fine with video options maxed out, so its ok with me that the XP loading screen looks funny.

Joeguy, when you had the same problem, was it only in programs that utilize DirectX like games, or did you see weird stuff at bios screens or the XP loading screen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, when I had it(I still do actually-haven't gotten the new card yet for lack of funding), it FIRST happened whenever I ran a high-end game, like HL2. But after leaving HL2, it appears on my desktop and whenever I change active windows. It's also a permanent fixture on my AIM buddy list.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have had very simular problems with my X600, very annoying pink lines, slthough normally only when im on destop or folders/internet browser. I also think that its damaged pipelines, and although annoying, i have decided to live with it as its not worth spending money on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.