Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Windows V1909.

It will never complete an install windows update? I have done reg clean/chkdsk/sfcscannow/DISM.

Maybe it keeps trying to install a corrupt download?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,034 Posts
I have done reg clean
Theres your problem, right there. The Windows registry does not ever need cleaning......period!

There may be times when you have to make some slight alteration to the registry to correct an issue but general cleaning of the registry, especially if you use those pathetic 3rd party registry cleaning 'tools' of which there are many, you are creating more problems than you could ever solve without a complete reinstall of the O/S.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
It is also not unusual for a cumulative update (or other update) to refuse to install on the first try. It happens with some frequency.

You just let Windows Update try to apply it again later, or let it be skipped. The next cumulative update will include all the fixes in the one that failed, and then some. Hence the term "cumulative."

I've skipped at least 3 cumulative updates on my various Windows 10 machines after two successive installs failed. On each, the next cumulative update went without a hitch. I don't know why, nor do I particularly care. It gets taken care of with time. The only reason I'd panic is if a critical security update could not be applied.

Reactions: lucidoobe

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm….. OK, I stand corrected.

Very interesting. I have used a free registry cleaner regularly for decades and decades. I am feeling guilty, and yet, at the same time my machines have only a couple of times (going back to Win98/ME days) had to be re-installed to system image or from original?

However, I will experiment and not do reg cleans from now on and keep my eyes open. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts