Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lads, reciently ive formatted my pc , and (logically) disconnected from my house network (4pcs) , .. when ive installed the windows and all (xp) , it didnt said new hardware to install the drivers which had to be in the windows (thats what i did in the previous pcs) , so im here , left alone , wiht out a driver , so with out internet . currently speaking you from a pc from my network house...

Information -
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

(taken from this pc)

What shall i do ? Find a driver from here and install it to my other pc via floppy disc ? , tried several drivers i found in the web but apparently didnt work

So please , try to help me because your my only chance of getting into the internet with my newly-formatted pc ..

THANKS in advance guys

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Many of the Realtek drivers are in the XP install package, so it's likely you don't need other drivers.

Why not start with the basics? Is the NIC in Device Manager? Does it have a yellow ! on it? Does it indicate an error code?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnwill said:
Many of the Realtek drivers are in the XP install package, so it's likely you don't need other drivers.

Why not start with the basics? Is the NIC in Device Manager? Does it have a yellow ! on it? Does it indicate an error code?
Usually, i plugged in the wire in the ethernet card , windows xp recogised it, found the drivers , and installed the successfully...but it didnt... and still doesnt when i try.

Yes i did start with the basic , the "Ethernet Controller" as winxp calls it has the yellow ! on it , and idicates an error code

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SPEEDO said:
Have you tried here for the driver?
im trying them now pal , ill let you know

*edit* nope, just like the rest ... keeps not finding the driver needed for the thing to work...

Im becoming depserate aswell as frustrated as it affects my job aswell....

Anyways guys... do you know how to troubleshoot this ? I mean..ive tried EVERY driver possible and still the **** thing doesnt seem to find its right one

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Phil said:
Usually, i plugged in the wire in the ethernet card , windows xp recogised it, found the drivers , and installed the successfully...but it didnt... and still doesnt when i try.

Yes i did start with the basic , the "Ethernet Controller" as winxp calls it has the yellow ! on it , and idicates an error code
I think it's time to take a deep breath and think about this. First off, when I asked if there was an error code, I though it would be obvious that I would like to know exactly what it is! :rolleyes: It's very difficult to debug long distance, but it's impossible without accurate information.

FWIW, I have the same hardware in two systems here, and both installed without a hitch using W2K. Hard to imagine that XP is having a harder time, that's one of it's strengths, good driver support.

Could you have changed something like the ACPI support and now have an interrupt conflict? What O/S did the system have on it previously? What is the exact make/model of the MB and the NIC (unless it's built-in).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hiho phil!

The Realtek 8139 series a-d are complietely integrated in the WinXP Pro SP1 driver package.
So what you could do at this point:
1)try and find out what the errorcode tries to tell you ( google-> enter errorcode-> find what it tells ya-> back here you'll get the support needed )
2) try and reinstall servicepack1 for WinXP , by the time there's an SP1a , which fixes some lately known bugs...

Try those two possible ways and i bet one of them will bring your problem to an end ;)

Greetz
Pen

·
Registered
1 Posts
this happened to my computer, but my card is nothing near a realtek, it is a D-LINK!!! windows keeps saying its realtek, i have the drivers for the d-link, i keep uninstalling the 'realtek' and every time I try to add new hardware, it automatically configures the dlink to the realtek!!! I HATE WINDOWS!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.