Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got a new computer in my home, and we decided to relocate it (it's the only comp in the house.) Anyway, we got a new modem, since the old one broke while we were junking the old one. We got a Zoom Cable Modem (model 5421), and used it with our Linksys Wireless-G Adapter. The adapter says that it has internet access, but the modem doesn't; and, the computer (in another room) says it has a connection error. Do I have to get a new modem?

Also, using Windows Vista now.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Do you get internet access connecting the PC directly to the Modem?
What type of internet access do you have? Did you notify your ISP of the Modem change? The Modem might have to have the MAC address registered with your ISP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notified them; they said it didn't need a MAC address change. And I can't get a direct connection, we moved the computer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think all routers are compatible with any kinds of modem as long as you configure it correctly. But in your case, you need to establish a connection first directly to modem and make sure it's working then setup router afterwards.

Try calling your ISP and have them setup your connection first. It might be a modem or computer configuration only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.