Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between buying anti-virus software and free software....besides the price?
Does one work better than the other, the ones I've looked at check all incomming data (dowloads, e-mail, etc.).
Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I haven't used any free virus scanners ... but Iv heard about one ... it was in one of these threads the other day ... anyway as far as retail Iv used both Nortan and Mcafee and personally Id go with Nortan, they both use about the same space and resources but Nortans got some extra bells and whistles with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.
Still not sure what to go with. It seems alot of people don't like McAfee. Norton seems to be the most popular. Popular however is not always the best. No offences to anybody. I just like to be alittle different. I think I 'll give AVG a try.
This place is the best to find information your looking for.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well if you want to be diffrent then go to www.antivirus.com 4 ...PC cillin...

as far as free goes...dont forget you get what you pay for...Nortons has decent tech support, and usally the first or one of the first to get the definitions and fixes in place...

the con to free software is ...what are you giving up...if it crashes you machine what support do you have...read the license agreement good...are they putting shareware, or stealing marketing info...

I have heard nothing but good stuff about AVG myself...but I go with the $$ version just for support and compatablity and I dont want to risk that

the following has been a Doonz editorial:winking:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Norton N/V

I don`t under stand how anyone can spend the money for a computer and all of the toys that you can get for them and can not pay for the safety part. You can get Norton Anti-virus 2003 for $21.00 shipped to your house. That is nothing compared to what can and usually happens to your computer if you get a virus.

Jim

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree,

You don't buy a hundred thousand dollar house and then not install any doors with locks on it. :confused:

Of course you could just go Linux and not have to worry about viruses at all :D

Taking the same scenario above into account, it would be like not bothering with the locks on the doors because your on a planet all by yourself so knowone will be coming to your door anyway. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.