Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically any application i try to open tries to open in paint (a box appears saying something about cant open coz its not a valid bitmap image)...obviously this isnt right so i need to know how to change them back... when i right click on the application then i dont get the option of "open with" so i cant do it that way. if u can help me please add me to msn or reply ASAP. thanks guys.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hold down the Shift key and then right-click the file. Also, you should only expect replies on this forum, not instant messenger or email. That's not how message boards work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resolution said:
Hold down the Shift key and then right-click the file. Also, you should only expect replies on this forum, not instant messenger or email. That's not how message boards work.
holding down shift makes no difference....i still get the same menu appear.

EDIT
OPEN
RUN AS....
PIN TO START MENU
--------------------
SEND TO >
--------------------
CUT
COPY
--------------------
CREATE SHORTCUT
DELETE
RENAME
--------------------
PROPERTIES

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok im sorry but ur gonna have to explain what that all means....im not good with computers and only understand about 6 words on that whole page heh, sorry.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hmm. Open the registry editor by going to Start, Run, and typing REGEDIT. Now, follow the directory path that is given in the article and make sure the default value is the same as the one on the article. All you are doing is comparing right now.

Actually, i'm not sure if that article relates to XP or not. Here is what the value looks like on my XP system. Follow that path and compare it with yours.

Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i do that and it just comes up with a blank dos window that i cant type in or do anything with....just tell me how hard i need to throw my computer at the wall to end this...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well, it sounds to me like you might have a good bit of spyware or infected files on your system. You may want to try and see if that is the case. I trust you have an updated virus scanner and spyware removal programs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have got up to date scanning stuff but a virus did get through that changed all my aps to open with microsoft paint, and i just need to change em back but without the open with option i dunno how to

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i myself have had this error, and i don't remember how i solved it.

however, i am going through my notes looking for it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
This will restore the right click commands.
Restore the Right Click

Or you can try and Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.