Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn my pc on windows does not start and I get an error box that says application failed to start 0xc0000005 . Tried starting in safe mode but all I get is a black screen and the same error box comes up . Cannot navigate to anything . Does this sound like some kind of virus thats damaged the OS ?

Dell4550
XP Home SP2

·
Banned
202 Posts
Get any kind of Windows XP disk and boot to Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r" . Failing to boot to Safe Mode is usually hardware or severe infection.Do you do P2P filesharing ? Limewire ? Any symptoms prior to the crash ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply . No P2P filesharing , limewire etc. Pc was working fine when shut off , next day when turned on problem started. Will try your suggestion and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went into the recovery console and ran chkdsk and when it finished it said it found and repaired a number of files . Tried to boot and it came back with the same error message , even in safe mode , so I just ended up doing a clean reinstall and things up and running . Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Okay well that's good.

Any idea what caused the problems ? A low-quality power supply can cause both HD errors and data corruption.

What's the manufacturer, model and power output of your PSU ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know the manufacturer or output of the psu , never really looked at it . If the problem comes back I certainly will . No idea where the problem came from but with all the junk out there it could come from anywhere .
Thanks for the help !

·
Banned
202 Posts
A bad PSU can not only pooch the data, it can permanently wreck any of the components it is connected to.

It would be a good idea to find out the quality of your PSU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.