Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ever I shut down, a box pops up and says "The application failed to initialize because the Windows station is shutting down"

Then it continues to shut down. I dont need to click okay, it just goes away after a second.

Its just annoying and it beeps.

How do i get rid of it?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Any chance you can post a screenshot of the box please? If that's not possible...is there any other data at all on there which may indicate what application it's referring to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the file is dwwin.dll

Its hard to get a screen shot of. How can I stop the shut down after this box pops up?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
The following should abort a shutdown...if you do it quick enough:

Start -> Run -> type:
shutdown -a
Click OK

The file you mentioned is connected to the error reporting application called Dr Watsons so it's picking up something which isn't right and trying to report on it but failing as the machine is shutting down.

You can shutdown the error reporting service if you like...that would solve the problem but it may be more prudent to find out what is causing the error reporting tool to start and to do that takes a little investigating.

Let me know which method you would prefer and I shall instruct you further :smile:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'd like to fix the error because if I disabled the error reporting tool, seems like that could cause problems if i ever got a real error that was dangerous to my system.

Instruct 'o great one. :D

BTW, do you still need the screen shot?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Don't worry about the screenshot for now.

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
eventvwr.msc
- Click OK
- That will launch your Event Viewer where system and application logs are kept. I'd like you to click the Application entry and that will expand the log in the right hand side of the window. Browse through for errors and warnings and make a note of the most common ones....you can also try to link them to times when you have shut your PC down. Repeat the process for the System log and post back your results please. You can double click the entries for more information on the errors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there were about 6 errors it appears that happened when I shut down. What do you want to know about them?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
As much as possible please...if you double click them you can cut n paste the contents of the description into your replies as that should give me some info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.