Tech Support banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,143 Posts
Yeah, I'd recommend trying another stick, because you have replaced majority of the hardware.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, I'd recommend trying another stick, because you have replaced majority of the hardware.
So I formatted another stick and installed the bootloader of Manjaro xfce - arch. I could boot up and start the installer but it could not mount my HDD. So with some hassle I formatted the HDD and tried again. But before I grabbed the dmesg/ kernel log. In the second try it could mount the HDD and start the install process but it could not finish since a part of it segfaulted and aborted thereby the install.
Full kernel log attached. I think important part would be this:
[ 294.735718] /dev/sda3: Can't open blockdev
[ 297.918728] /dev/sda3: Can't open blockdev
[ 313.620524] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 313.620528] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[ 313.620535] [Hardware Error]: CPU:7 (17:71:0) MC3_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|SyndV|-|-|-]: 0xd820000000010150
[ 313.620542] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000300b000000000, Syndrome: 0x000000001a002004
[ 313.620546] [Hardware Error]: Decode Unit Ext. Error Code: 1, Micro-op cache data parity error.
[ 313.620550] [Hardware Error]: cache level: RESV, tx: INSN, mem-tx: IRD
[ 313.620555] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
[ 313.620556] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
[ 313.620560] [Hardware Error]: CPU:1 (17:71:0) MC3_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|SyndV|-|-|-]: 0xd820000000010150
[ 313.620566] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000300b000000000, Syndrome: 0x000000001a002004
[ 313.620570] [Hardware Error]: Decode Unit Ext. Error Code: 1, Micro-op cache data parity error.
[ 313.620573] [Hardware Error]: cache level: RESV, tx: INSN, mem-tx: IRD

·
3,143 Posts
This not a disk error, appears to write to the disk, but seems to be a CPU error. Can you check if latest BIOS firmware update is available and try updating it ? If you've updated the BIOS, also reset the BIOS/CMOS settings once you''ve updated the firmware.

If you've tried everything, I'm leaning towards a faulty CPU/Socket or memory parity, were there any issues while installing the CPU ?

Are the RAMs part of a paired set of RAM modules ? Have you checked them for compatibility ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This not a disk error, appears to write to the disk, but seems to be a CPU error. Can you check if latest BIOS firmware update is available and try updating it ? If you've updated the BIOS, also reset the BIOS/CMOS settings once you''ve updated the firmware.

If you've tried everything, I'm leaning towards a faulty CPU/Socket or memory parity, were there any issues while installing the CPU ?

Are the RAMs part of a paired set of RAM modules ? Have you checked them for compatibility ?
I checked the Bios version and the build number and build date are the same (Mb support link)
My steps in installing were as follows from my memory. I did not find anything out of the things I read up upon.
1. Turn of PSU and hold power for ~ 5sec to drain
2. Unplug all cables and remove them
3. Remove GPU and RAM
4. Remove MB
5. Remove CPU fan and clean up thermal paste
6. Unlock lock and remove CPU
7. Install CPU on new MB
8. Apply paste and install CPU fan
9. Reverse of 1-4
This is all I did as far as my memory holds
My RAM is this one. I checked their page and they list the MB in QVL and the MB does the same I think. They are a pair of 2 GB sticks installed currently in the optimal slots according to the MB manual.

·
3,143 Posts
If Memory parity is checked and BIOS updated, I'd lean towards Mobo or CPU, more likely to be CPU. Talk to AMD about the CPU, gather all the logs and share with them and have their tech support investigate, high chances they might already have a solution or would be aware of this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If Memory parity is checked and BIOS updated, I'd lean towards Mobo or CPU, more likely to be CPU. Talk to AMD about the CPU, gather all the logs and share with them and have their tech support investigate, high chances they might already have a solution or would be aware of this issue.
Okay I am going to make a thread there and give it a week for a reply. If I get one I will follow up and if not I am thinking about RMAing the CPU or buying a "cheap" one for the final replacement test.

·
3,143 Posts
Okay I am going to make a thread there and give it a week for a reply. If I get one I will follow up and if not I am thinking about RMAing the CPU or buying a "cheap" one for the final replacement test.
Do let us know how this goes,

21 - 27 of 27 Posts