Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December last year any application on my Windows system crashed after about a minute and shortly after that I got bluescreens with the Error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Since I had nothing important on my disks I opted to wipe and make a clean install. After getting the same error on a fresh install I booted a RAM only linux distro and watched it. This had also errors(MCE) in the kernel log but not as frequent. Then I created a thread in another forum and we made many tests with drivers and so on. Effectively I bought new RAM and we tested again. Then we found out that my PSU was under the requirements of my GPU and I got a new PSU with new tests. Still to no avail we got errors and so we RMAd the GPU which came back saying the manufacturer has repaired it. But with the same errors I bought a new GPU and had the luck that I still had errors. Then we suspected the M.2 causing some problems so I used another disk. With still problems we concluded the MB after having the CPU tested with prime95. Yesterday I got a new MB and installed it. With that I got a new HDMI cable, SATA cable and a new disk. Installing Windows I got during the install process an error 0xC0000005 suggesting Memory related problems. Then today I booted up arch for installation and it logged several segfaults and MCEs.
Thinking that almost all parts are new new it will likely be a user error from me. Something I missed. This was my first build from Okt 2019

Specs:
MB: MSI B450M Pro-vhdMAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550
RAM: currently only 1 stick in. 16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000
PSU: Seasonic GX-750
Disk: Seagate BaraCuda 1TB

currently not installed
M.2 Samsung 256GB
AMD Radeon Rx 5700
be quiet Pure Power 11 500W
2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,222 Posts
Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Please post links to the other thread(s) you mentioned so that we don't go over solutions that have already been tried.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,152 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't go through the other posts, I don't want to be biased with any suggestions, I looked at the logs though. The dumps indicate NTDL.DLL (System DLL, highly unlikely to be cause of the BSOD) or DWM which is your Display Manager which throws these errors. This could stem from bad RAM (high probability, I'd recommend running Memtest (again even if done the first time with 8 passes) and let us know if any errors are detected. Also a bad HDD so good to test the Hard drive as well.

Also, was Windows reinstalled by wiping everything from scratch or was anything restored ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify. I tested from booth sets of RAM a stick and got the same error. Should I do extensive testing on booth sets? Like 4 passes on each slot for each stick. I do not use all 4 sticks and if I use 2 only 2 from the same brand.
The HDD is brand new and not yet tested. Is there a good HDD testing program for Linux? I use Linux on my backup rig.
As the HDD was brand new no Windows installation was left over. But I think after the first try I got some partitions where after as I said I tried to install 2 Linux distros

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What drive is Windows actually on?
As far as I know I got a windows install on the 500GB SD with the old drivers for the old MB. And I wanted to install Windows on the new 1TB HDD getting the mentioned error which I know from the previous thread as I bought the new MB and HDD to solve the problem.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,624 Posts
You mention an M2 but don't show it as "specs" or "currently not installed". Most BSODs are caused by hard drive failure or ram issues in my experience and you do mention a Seagate hard drive which I have no luck with at all though Samsung or Toshiba are even potentially worse.

·
3,152 Posts
Just to clarify. I tested from booth sets of RAM a stick and got the same error. Should I do extensive testing on booth sets? Like 4 passes on each slot for each stick. I do not use all 4 sticks and if I use 2 only 2 from the same brand.
The HDD is brand new and not yet tested. Is there a good HDD testing program for Linux? I use Linux on my backup rig.
As the HDD was brand new no Windows installation was left over. But I think after the first try I got some partitions where after as I said I tried to install 2 Linux distros
Test 8 passes on 2 sticks on the 2 primary slots, then test 8 passes on 2 alternate sticks on the 2 secondary slots (if you're Mobo has them)

Stick to the Manufacturer tools for HDD testing, check the vendor website for the best...

If it was left over you need to backup your stuff wipe everything and start from scratch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I tested the HDD from Seagate:
SMART : passed
short drive self test: passed
short generic test: passed
long generic test: not done
these are all basic tests there were also some advanced ones but I do no know them.
And I tested the first batch of RAM. The second batch is going to follow tomorrow.
2 sticks in primary slots:
8 passes sum of errors 0
When I got the errors on the OS installs I had 1 stick in the primary slot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Test 8 passes on 2 sticks on the 2 primary slots, then test 8 passes on 2 alternate sticks on the 2 secondary slots (if you're Mobo has them)

Stick to the Manufacturer tools for HDD testing, check the vendor website for the best...

If it was left over you need to backup your stuff wipe everything and start from scratch.
Today I finished the off slots
Primary Slots 8 passes 0 errors
Off Slots 8 passes 0 errors
HDD
SMART passed
short generic test and self test passed

·
3,152 Posts
Ok, so the Memory looks good, next would be the Hard drive, please run the long diagnostics, be very cautious Seagate can have a long/advanced test with Erase as well, so ensure you have a good backup and choose the right option in the Advanced/Long Test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so the Memory looks good, next would be the Hard drive, please run the long diagnostics, be very cautious Seagate can have a long/advanced test with Erase as well, so ensure you have a good backup and choose the right option in the Advanced/Long Test.
I ran the long generic test and it passed after 108 min running. As I posted earlier there are some other tests which list under advanced tests like Spin up and full override. I have not done those but I changed the fragmented partitions from the 3 tired OS installs to 1 ntfs with gparted. I can change to FAT32 or so if you like.

·
3,152 Posts
No, this is good the other ones are very specific test, I wanted the Long generic test, we can say with some assurance that the HDD and Memory are good.

Download the ISO again, and create a new Bootable USB (use GPT if using Rufus) and then create the flash drive and then attempt the install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, this is good the other ones are very specific test, I wanted the Long generic test, we can say with some assurance that the HDD and Memory are good.

Download the ISO again, and create a new Bootable USB (use GPT if using Rufus) and then create the flash drive and then attempt the install.
Yay I got after the first checkmark of the Windows install. The installer finished and needed to reboot. After the Bios screen I got a bluescreen. In the old thread I got constantly CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED screens but this one was different : 0x00021a all I know it ended with a 21a before I could write down the zeroes. I did not yet try to collect the minidump

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay I got after the first checkmark of the Windows install. The installer finished and needed to reboot. After the Bios screen I got a bluescreen. In the old thread I got constantly CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED screens but this one was different : 0x00021a all I know it ended with a 21a before I could write down the zeroes. I did not yet try to collect the minidump
I forgot to change to boot order when I tired to get the dump so I got another bluescreen System_Service_Exception, win32full.dll. It seems like at this state the system does not have a C:\Windows\Minidumps folder. I only found 1 file in C:\Windows called MEMORY.DMP so it could be possible that the first dump is lost. The dump is 384,7 MB big and even when I compress it with zip I get a file 41,4 MB. Since that is too much for an attachment shall I upload to a cloud?

·
3,152 Posts
Have you tried a new OS downoad and USB creation.

Are you overclocking by any chance ? If you are, you need to bring it down to stock. This is a kernel error, so some device or driver load is causing the issue, can you remove the M2 and connect a traditional SATA and attempt the WIndows installation ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you tried a new OS downoad and USB creation.

Are you overclocking by any chance ? If you are, you need to bring it down to stock. This is a kernel error, so some device or driver load is causing the issue, can you remove the M2 and connect a traditional SATA and attempt the WIndows installation ?
I created a new USB using the Media creation tool from Microsoft and then installed it fresh on the formatted HDD. Then I got the error mentioned on the previous posts.
I do not overclock. I loaded default MB settings.
I have no M2 connected.
My HDD is connected through SATA.
I can try to install Windows again from a fresh stick or any other Linux distro if you want.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts