Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copying and pasting from www.aopen.com, where I posted also:

I recently got the AK77-333 board, OCZ 256 MB PC-2100 DDRAM, and Athlon XP 2100+. I also upgraded from a 300watt to a 350watt PSU. Let's save the PSU-replacement suggestion for last, shall we?

OK, I bought the new mobo/RAM/athlon to upgrade. I already had an MSI KT7 Turbo board. I already had WinXP running on a 30GB Western Digital HD. Now it doesn't seem to run. I have reset the CMOS, to no avail. What happens is: I turn it on, it boots into XP (if it gets that far) and it locks up either when Windows is loading, or after I have typed my password in to log on to Windows. It just randomly hangs. Here are the specs on my system:

AK77-333
Athlon XP 2100+
256MB OCZ PC-2100 DDRAM
Radeon 8500 LE (128MB DDR) (AGP)
SBLive! MP3+ 5.1
SOHOware LAN card
350watt psu

i thought that by just replacing the board, I wouldn't have any problems. I also tried booting off of the WinXP CD, and it hangs.

Oh, one more strange thing! On my monitor, the lights where the settings are kept lighting up, back and forth. Is anything listed above not compatible? I need help please!!

Regards,
Ryan Wallace

P.S. If anyone has AOL Instant Messenger, we can do this live, IM me, "Ethereal Raven". Thanks!

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Just a suggestion anytime you change a mother board or a cpu it is best to reload the computer becuase the operating system still sees the old hardware and can cause some major conflicts (like you are seeing) best suggestion reload the computer. After you do that and still have problems 2 things.

1. AMD are know to cause random look ups.

2. Make sure your processor is cooled extremely well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Yes I know that, but I and my friends have not had problems in the past.
2. Theres a problem there, I can't boot to the WinXP CD.

·
1,143 Posts
1. I did say random problems right and also changing the MOBO can increase your chances.

2. It does not matter if you are booting from the cd your hard drive still has the driver for the old mobo so unless you do a complete format on the computer and a fresh install it will not like the switch from one mother board to the new one. Some time people get lucky and everything works perfectly but I suggest to anyone changing a motherboard or processor to to a complete reload to avoid problems. So if you can get in long enough back up anything that is really important and then reload.

On a side note it is nice to have another bird on the board

·
1,143 Posts
From the way you worded your first post it that to me would be your only option.

Put the old mobo back in back up any files you need then format the hard drive. Then install the new mother board and re-install XP would be the best solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya know, its funny. i got the new mobo to get rid of an old XP problem. (See post in Windows XP "Trouble Downloading" 2pages! heh) instead i have worse probs. i'm booting from a disk and typing "format c:" anything wrong with what i'm doing?

·
1,143 Posts
nope the format c: works but I would use the command format c: /u the /u command mean unconditional meaning no matter what all the data will be erased.

·
1,143 Posts
Using the format /q qill not nessacarily get rid of all the system files and still could cause problems same with just plain format.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, this problem has been fixed. the only problem i have right now, is why i can't change the fsb from 100MHz to 133.. theres a jumper on the mobo, but after i switch it and reboot, it locks up after booting into windows, if it gets that far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.