Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone recently aim has been giving me trouble and slowing down my comp, Ive been using AIM triton for about a year and this is the first time it ever started slowing down my computer. Anyone know what the problem could be? Anyone ever experience this problem before?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi D-Ice

Are you fairly sure that it's the aolsoftware.exe process that is causing the slowdown? (...it has been known to jump to near-100% usage in Task Manager)

Any reason you couldn't uninstall it/download a fresh (hopefully bug-free) version/ and re-install?

And check
-for malware (run scans - scan for rootkits, too)
- in Task Manager -that your background process memory needs aren't greater than your installed physical memory

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
And check

- in Task Manager -that your background process memory needs aren't greater than your installed physical memory
Just lurking here and wondered, how would one check this "background process memory"?
Is this the same as the 'Physical Memory' listing in Windows Task Manager?
Total: 506672
Available: 136324
Systems Cache: 230188

Barbie

·
3,258 Posts
[quick note - Barbi - under the "Performance" tab in Task Manager, the Total for "Physical Memory" should match the actual physical capacity of the installed memory modules (less any shared for onboard memory). An easy way to figure how much memory is being used by open programs and background processes is to look at the "Commit Charge" Total number. If the Commit Charge total exceeds the Physical Memory total, excessive use of the page file can slow performance dramatically]. -- Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the Commit Charge total exceeds the Physical Memory total, excessive use of the page file can slow performance dramatically
My total SDRAM is 512mb so that covers the Physical Memory number of 506672.
The Commit Charge total (a variable) fluctuates around 372300 (Peak at this reading was 397796) That is more than half of my physical memory. Is this a normal usage or a moderatly high usage that should be looked into?

I am running 54 processes which I think is rather high. I have tried to ID some of them. Many of them are toshiba. Seven svhost.exe, six aol based processes.

In relation to the topic of this post, the aolsoftware.exe, which used to take up to 100% of the CPU resourses, was updated a few weeks ago and now takes much less however it is still a very active program. I assume this is in relation to the Security Edition which carries Firewall, Spyware and Virurs protection?

There are times when I think that aol is the root of all other error problems I have been having including an inablity to install a new HP printer. BAH to AOL!:4-thatsba

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again D-Ice, Barbi

D-Ice -- Just as Barbi mentions, you may experience the same improvement in aolsoftware.exe's memory use (more efficiency) after a recent AOL update = this has been mentioned on several threads on the net lately. But there can be other factors involved worth looking at as well.

Barbi -- Your memory usage looks OK. You just have a lot going on. Increasing your system memory to 1gb would give you more headroom, and probably produce a little increase in performance (but would really be more of a hedge for future memory demands, which tend to keep increasing - and as the types of modules change, it's sometimes best to buy ahead of time, when the modules are cheaper [they tend to start increasing in price as they become rare - witness the cost of PC100 modules]).

I suppose I should add a note that I use the Commit Charge as a way of estimating memory usage by open programs and background processes -- it's actually related to pagefile usage . . . but the number increases and decreases as programs open and close - and that makes it a quick way to monitor total memory load. Here's an article over on the "Wikipedia" that might help explain things [keep in mind that the Commit Charge "Limit" is the total physical memory + the pagefile on your hard disk --> for example a system with 1gb system memory (1048048 'K' in Task Manager) and an 1.5gb pagefile would have a "Limit" of 2.5gb (2521408 'K' in Task Manager) --pagefiles are often 1.5 the size of physical system memory]. System performance suffers when the Commit Charge "Total" (not Limit) exceeds the Total amount of Physical memory = because at that point, Windows is forced to employ the hard disk pagefile extensively, and a hard drive is much slower than system memory --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commit_charge
________

D-Ice, Barbi, and AOL users in general -

Since much of the recent software offered by AOL recently contains anti-malware programs of several sorts, it's important to remember:

1) It's best to have only one "real-time" anti-spyware scanner [Real-time means that the program scans files as they are opened - it runs all the time]. You can have many anti-spyware programs installed, and can use them to help scan for spyware, but these scans will be different: they will only run when you start them. You can have your one real-time scanner on all the time. The other scanners will likely not bother the real-time scanner (though there are some conflicts - but often these are patched) so long as you only try one manually-started scan at a time. In other words, you can also run an AdAware scan from time to time, or a SpyBot scan from time-to-time - but you wouldn't run an AdAware scan and a SpyBot scan at the same time.

Note that many recent AOL tools include a real-time anti-spyware scanner, so you need to make sure not to enable the real-time scanners in your other antispyware programs (TeaTimer in SpyBot, for example). Otherwise, at worst, conflicts may develop, and at the least = performance will suffer as the programs scan and scan and scan everything on-access in real-time.

2) Only one real-time antivirus scanner should run on a PC. It's best to have only one locally installed antivirus program, period. It is possible to run an online antivirus scan - with a tool such as TrendMicro's HouseCall - without causing conflicts with your real-time scanner. Only one antivirus, though, should be installed locally on your computer. [The online scanners generally use an ActiveX or Java engine]. Online scans are handy ways of double-checking that your local scanner is doing its job.

3) Only one firewall can run on a PC. Some recent AOL offerings provide a firewall as well. You can run only one.

I have had some customers lately that had so many Pop-Up Blockers, anti-spyware programs, antivirus, and firewalls running that their systems had become both unstable and largely unresponsive. And many were AOL customers, who were unaware that such anti-malware components were installed. [Luckily, such situations are easily fixed!]

AOL programs, when installed and configured correctly, are just like any other software = good tools if they fit your needs and preferences.

Best of luck - sorry if this post has run on a bit too long.
. . . Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.