Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a new motherboard, epox 8kra2+, installed. Since then I have had a problem with aol and winsock. The initial error was from aol which said in effect you have an error in your internet connection, relog to fix it. I took it back to the shop, they eventually found it to be a winsock error. They installed a winsock repair app to fix it. Please note that only aol was affected. I could still surf the web using IE without any problem, only aol's internent was affected.

Every morning when I turn the computer on, I must run the winsock repair app, reboot, reconfigure the tcp/ip before I can use aol's internet service or read my mail. aol has responded that it is not their problem and I must contact my computer manufacturer, it's a custom built pc, or a third party app provider for the solution.

Does anyone have any idea's on this one? Would appreciate any comments or responses.

Thanks heaps

Fershock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steal, if I could convince my family to dump AOL, it would be in the can immediately.

Breakerfall,

I have a winsock repair app. I think my biggest concern is that I must use it everyday before I can use the internet service on AOL. I need to find out how to keep the winsock remembering the settings or whatever it is supposed to do without having to repair it daily.

Do you know if the problem lies with winsock or aol?

thanks,

fershock

·
Registered
266 Posts
fershock,

did you try the link I gave you at all?
that's a new version of the WinsockRepair tool.
It gets updated all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahem, well, i did download it.....but, didn't actually try it out just yet because.............

I will try it out first thing in the morning and let you know.

Thanks

Fershock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It turns out that the winsock program you linked to me is the same one I have been using.

The repair program works great. It defaults my tcp/ip data to automatically detect ip addresses, but mine is a fixed one so I need to re-enter all of that data each time.

fershock

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are you using Dial-Up or HighSpeed?

Have you tried reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using comcast cable for my internet service.

No, I have not tried to reinstall the tcp/ip protocols. I would need some instructions on how to do that.

Thanks

Fershock

·
Registered
266 Posts
Comcast?

I thought you said you had AOL (?)

What do you need AOL for if you have Comcast,

I don't understand...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because family is rooted to AOL mail and instant messaging.
Entrenched, hard to move, not willing to change, you know, that sort of thing.

Fershock

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah, aohell doesn't suck. it's a wonderful piece of shi-mmering delight.

what's funny about this situation is aohell doesn't believe it's their fault or problem. my belief is if aohell should do anything and everything in it's power to find a solution to correct the problem in order to keep the consumer satisfied. but i live in my own self created fantasy world.

i tried the rebuild program you linked me to. and before rebooting the machine to see the results, just in case it's a while before i can get back online, thanks for your help in this.

fershock

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
AOL sucks badly.

first off, they insist on making the software so it will auto update, and then they added no way of turning that feature off.

sometimes when i am gaming, my connection drops to such a slow speed i cant even move. (this is only when our cable is out, cos i have to use AOL when the cable is out)

i dont see a single thing about AOL that is worth a dam.

try earthlink.
you will get a connecton that isnt being used by anything but what you are trying to do online.
no updates, no welcome screen, no bull****

earthlink is also cheaper, and connects at 56k more reliably.

but, i would recommend you go to www.oldversion.com and download AOL 5.

it doesnt have all the bugs that 8 does.

~BoB~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bob. You're right. I really didn't have as many problems using the older versions as I do now. Will certainly be an option I will consider.

fershock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Breaker,

I did the tcp/ip rebuild and guess what??, nothing happened. The program did as advertised but it didn't fix the problem.

A new mother board should not cause a problem like this to occur, should it? That is the only new hardward addition that's been done. Now the board is epox 8kra2+ that comes with it's own network adapter which I am using. My old adapter was a 3 com product, can't remember which model.

Do you think it might be the adapter that is doing this?

Thanks again

fershock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.