Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to RMA my new WD 80 drive for a second time due to high whine and access noise. My P4C800-e supports Serials and I was looking to spend a few extra dollars for the performance. I've heard the serial ATA's can be noisy esp for reads/writes but in some of the reviews - esp Maxtor's they mention they are quiet. Anyone using either a Maxtor 120 serial or Seagate? Whats the noise like. Tried a demo Maxtor ATA133 80 with 8mb cache and the thing was completely silent compared to the WD. No spin noise and seeks were almost silent.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have Maxtors ATA133/8mb cache and they are quiet compared to WD that I've used. I've read a few articles complaining about WD noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried out the Maxtor 80 gb 8mb - and its idle noise was excellent (like no noise) but the seeks/write noise was pretty bad - much worse than WD's - tried turning off AAM with AMSET but the performance really went downhill as well. With it on boot times were signifcantly higher and the access numbers also went down as well. The one year warranty doesn't give me great confidence either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.