Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently downloaded Eraser but I have no idea how to shred the files by right clicking the recycle bin on my desktop.
There are so many options like "35 pass gutmann" "7 pass schneier"
What are these? I used to use CCleaner and I didnt have this problem.

I also want to know how to completely erase the files Ive already deleted using the recycle bin. My friend told me my computer has files from years and years ago just sleeping there. Is there a way to clear only those files without having to format my computer itself?

·
Premium Member
39,538 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I've used Eraser (East-Tec?) in the past and liked it a great deal. It offers varying levels of deletion, from minimal to the highest possible, which includes overwriting existing data numerous times, often with random characters. This makes it almost impossible to recover any file information.
When you send a file to the Recycle bin Windows does not actually delete the file, rather it removes an entry in its file index, making the file invisible to Windows. Eventually the file will be overwritten, but that's not the same as deleting it with Eraser.

Eraser used to have a button for Recycle Bin - click that and only files in the bin would be erased. You could also drag and drop from Explorer directly into Eraser's window.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question578.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used Eraser for several years as my job often involves sensitive client data that gets shuffled between computers. It's a great program. My understanding is that the 7-pass overwrite will render files pretty much un-retrievable by anyone except perhaps the most advanced and sophisticated forensics, so the 35-pass overwrite is probably overkill. You should be able to erase any individual file by right-clicking on it, and if you right-click on the recycle bin, you can erase everything in the bin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll be using the 7 pass Schneier then.

But is there a way to shred the files that youve already delted?
My computer got a virus last month and even though I installed an anti-virus software, I still want to clear my computer until I buy a new one just in case it gets hacked or something.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are so many options like "35 pass gutmann" "7 pass schneier"
What are these? I used to use CCleaner and I didnt have this problem.
I'm curious also about this question that 'Tiedwires' brings up here.

Does CCleanor erase with '35 pass gutmann' all traces from the recycle bin of files that have been deleted in the past? or does Eraser do this better?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only way to really make sure is to deep clean the free space on your hard drive as this should clear any file remnants that may exist and may be recoverable. Also I am not sure if Eraser destroys the log file that is created whenever a file is sent to the recycle bin. I use tracks eraser pro which gets rid of the lot including the index.dat file that stores every web site you have visited even if you clear history in IE. Information can still be recovered from slack space on your system hence the reason for deep cleaning any HDD's on your system. Also defragging your HDD helps with overwriting data.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.