Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AtGuard (version 3.2 was last I believe)?

This is probably for the old timers here, going back a few years; those involved in the security field would know as many ASAP members do.

Was it any good at doing its job?

Would it still be any good?

Any opinions?

I won't give my personal opinion or knowledge on it away just yet :grin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Since it's long since faded from the scene, what's the point of worrying about how effective it is? There are plenty of choices that are currently updated to pick from.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I still have a copy of it on a HD that I had paid for back then - and found it better than most firewalls in its running, security, features, resources used up (10-15MB with 0-2% CPU), perfect GUI, as well as ASAP members who were part of the usenet group tracking it back then generally hailed it as perfect. Some were still running it that I knew of 5-6 months ago.

I asked wanting to know if its still effective and if it is, I would use it over any other even now, simple.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
It really doesn't take that much for a firewall to be effective, it just has to monitor and block the proper ports. Now, there are some sophisticated attacks that may get by an older firewall that doesn't monitor for them, that might be an issue.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't you reckon an older firewall (that you can't get hold of) is less targeted at and understood than one thats common now?

Port, Ad, Site, Cookie, Referrer, Incoming/Outgoing traffic and general Net blocking as well as monitoring is excellent in it as far as my experience with it proves. Setting rules is very simple, the GUI uncomplicated and explicitly easy to manipulate and generally you wont have a problem with the softwares running. Listing of all port and net activity is one click away with the setup I've have. See the AtGuard toolbar planted above (easily move or removed) in the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
As a Personal Firewall, the more updated solutions can usually detect a wider variety of attacks than the older ones, because they've been updated with better engines as time progressed. This isn't to say some older ones are bad, only that the newer ones have had a chance to continually improve themselves and fix things.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
I honestly can't say if the older one would be "more effective", never did that study. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.