Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for preferably free backup util that will back up to another drive. i have a 40GB partition on an 80GB drive that is split for WinXP PRO SP2 and Linux FC3. i want to back up my windows stuff. (including settings, windows state, files, folders, and possibly attributes.)

i need a programn that is better than the default one Windows provides. it doesn't work for me ne ways. and i installed from a custom made slip stream of XP Pro so i cut out alot of the fat but i am pretty sure i left the backup util in there.

if someone could help me that would be most appreciated.

much thanks in advance

- NoRiN

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good luck finding something free that can do windows state etc.

Norton Ghost is good for backing up entire drive/partition to another drive/partition/image and keeping all settings in tact - ocasionally muffs the boot sector but this is easily fixed. It can compress to an image file.

Backup assist is a great overlay for NT Backup, but you say your NT Backup doesn't work so that's not much good to you.

The Hooligan

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i gues moreso the file backup more than ne thing. something i can set to something like once a week. back up to my 120SATA drive, and i cna mess with the settings when it comes time to re install.

again thanks.

o and btw... is there a way i can use the original XP Pro disk to install the backup function? do i just need to go to Add/Remove Programs then click one of the bottons on the side and choose to install components? is that one of them? i will try, if not then could someone assist with helping me install the NT Backup Util from the XP Pro disk.

thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what you indicate you want something that is easy to recover with. What I do and recommend is to clone your drive. You end up with two bootable drives crash one you have a bootable backup then you just clone it back. What works well is Ghost or I use seagate diskwizard (I have all seagate drives). Once a week I reclone the C: to D:. :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

When it is all said and done, it is very hard to find something better than the old version (like 2003) of Norton Ghost. You can find it on ebay for less than ten bucks with shipping. Does a great job, is reasonable, quick and pretty darn accurate (more than their new version) for a cheap program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.