Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone here has previous experience moving an Invision Powerboard from one server to a different hosting server, any advice would be appreciated. I'm getting rather conflicting advice from the couple of people I know, and would like some more input before we actually start this project (which seriously needs to be soon).

I know there's a way to move all the files to the new server and still keep our memberlist, boards, previous posts, etc, but I need some advice as to what order things needs to be done. We don't want to have to start brand new from scratch if we can at all help it....

I'd scoured the web for this information, but can't get many details, so if ya know something or know someone "in-the-know", please let us know... Thanks!

Here's what I need to know. First of all, we are running and unlicensed version of Invision Powerboard version 1.3. I have the setup file to setup a fresh copy on the new server (which I'm told I have to do first and foremost before copying these files over there).

Next, I need to know the best way to import/move/whatever our existing files, members, boards, etc, so we don't lose anything. I know it's possible because I've seen it done before. I just can't get up with the folks who did it right now...lol. :4-dontkno

any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
It's easy, actually. I use phpBB2 and mySQL so that's what I'll reference here.

First, make sure the new computer is setup to work with PHP parsing and running an SQL database. Next, copy the databases from the old computer to the new one. They can usually be found in c:\program files\mysql\data. I may be wrong on the exact path (not at my computer at home right now) but it's in the "data" folder. Once that's done you should be all set to go assuming your environment variables are tuned to your network's specifications.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.