Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Update?

I have just done a reinstall of the OEM Windows XP installation, and it kindly offered to install WGA for me. I declined, as I don't want that spyware on my computer, but when I unchecked it from the update and checked the "don't offer this update anymore" option, I now get a big yellow banner at the top of my Windows Update screen saying;

"IMPORTANT! You've Hidden Important Updates. You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority updates but your computer might be at risk until they are installed."

Is there any way to get this "reminder" hidden?

First of all, it's kind of shady of them to call this an "important update" and claim that WGA has anything to do with my computer being at risk, but secondly, if I've asked to not be shown it anymore, why do they think it's any better to show me a big banner-ad reminding me that I've asked not to be shown it anymore? Jeez!

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Re: Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Upd

Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

It's pretty basic. The core of it is, they are a company that sells computer Operating System software and don't want to be ripped off. And to prevent rip-offs from updating beneficial security and other support they provide FREE, they require you run the WGA.

That isn't unreasonable.

Don't like it? Get Linux or whatever.

:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Upd

Right, I'm aware of what WGA is and what it's for, but I'm also already aware that my install is legal and legit. I wouldn't mind them verifying the install, as I don't mind when any other software does, but I'm not a fan of their "checking in every few weeks" policy. That IS unreasonable. I don't have to drive my car back to the dealership every other week to show them my title and registration documents and prove the car is still mine, why should I have to do that for MS?

But the question isn't really about WGA itself, it's just whether or not I can get rid of the nag-screen that reminds me that I've chosen to not install WGA. Why give me the option to not install it, if they're just going to hound me about it anyways?

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts

As CCT stated very well, it is a main part of Windows that is required to keep your system up to date and validated.

The WGA is in place for a good reason. To prevent people from ripping of MS.

My suggestion is to install the WGA, that is the only advice we are going to give here to get rid of the message.

It states it in the rules:

ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES
Users may not post hacks, cracks, or give instruction how to pirate any type of software, or anything similar, in any forum of TSF. We do not condone, support or give instruction on any illegal activity pertaining to computer systems, computer hardware, computer software programs or computer related activities. Included in this group of activities are requests for help to circumvent system settings, admin passwords or Administrator settings on networks. We do understand that the majority of requests may be legitimate, but we do not have the means to discern these from non-legitimate requests.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Thread is now closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.