Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an acquaintance who is an Safety Director. He'll never be invited over to the house!

I have 3, count 'em 3!, power strips piggybacking from one outlet behind my computer cabinet. It is literally a jungle back there.

Any new ideas, products that can help with keeping the wiring down back there or at least meet safety standards for the home?

Thank you,
O

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If you're worried then the easiest fix is to get a high-grade surge strip. They come now with 10 or so outlets and offer great protection with high safety. Another cool thing is that they often have offset outlets for "wall wart" AC adapters.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am also a victim of the 3 power strip problem. I can easily explain why I have so many:

Speakers
Steering Wheel
Lamp
Modem
Router
PC
Monitor
Wireless Mouse Receiver
Cell Phone Charger
Laptop Charger
Printer
Air Conditioner

Some of these devices have those massive AC Adapters that block off two outlets, so that explains the third power strip.

I am sure that fire hazards are only caused when too much power is drawn from the outlets, so your three power supplies should be totally fine as long as you don't have a lot of high-wattage things plugged into them at once.

This is why, for example, kitchen electrical fires are so common. People have a dishwasher, a microwave, and a toaster (perhaps more) running out of a power strip, and a fire starts. Also, you can purchase power strips with circuit breakers or fuses in them to prevent drawing too much electricity from them.

So, if you just have a bunch of low-wattage things plugged in (cell phone chargers, laptop chargers, phone plugs, etc..) you should be totally fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checking into the 10 outlet strip...

The 10 outlet strip suggested by ebackhus sounds like a good thing. I do have a few adapters plugged in, that's why so many strips. They may not be a hazard, but for my piece of mind, and an aesthetic reason, I'd like to consolidate and keep it a bit tidier back there.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Raggedtoad-It is a bad idea to have your AC on the same circuit as the pc. They produce a lot of electrical noise. If it is plugged into the same strip, it can not remove all the noise from that circuit correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.