Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I barely ever shut down my computer, most of the time I use hibernation.
I use a laptop and always have the power supply connected to it, I dont have the battery on my laptop.

Is there any harm in hibernating instead of shutting down?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
No harm in hibernating. However if some programs start getting flakey, it is usually wise to restart it every so often.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team
8,123 Posts
I quote this from O'Reilly's book Windows Server Hacks:
One issue with hibernation can come up if your password is configured to expire periodically. The problem is that if your password expires while your machine is hibernating, you can't bring it out of hibernation to reset your password. To work around this, boot in safe mode, log on using the local Administrator account, and change the password for your ordinary user account, then reboot the machine.
Moreover, I strongly advise you to keep your Windows fully patched and current; hibernation tends to bring up some issues with drivers incompatibilities and/or vulnerabilities, that are dealt with via updates.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
One problem with Hirbernating I always find, it tends to be a lot slower when you turn it back on, and generally is faster just to turn off the system completely, well, in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.