Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you really need Antivirus software for Windows 10? Is Windows Defender good enough? I have read mixed opinions on this. I heard that maybe just adding malwarebytes would be enough. Is it worth it to purchase the premium version?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Just Windows Security (formerly Defender) is sufficient. MBAM if you desire although mixed opinion on this.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,200 Posts
If you're wanting to use Windows Defender as your AV, and there's every reason that you should, then you should not purchase the premium version of Malwarebytes since by default it will deactivate Windows Defender since two programs with active real time protection will potentially conflict with each other.

For the same reason, as a general practice, you should not run any two defensive programs on your machine, if they both provide real time protection.

If you wish to use Malwarebytes alongside Windows Defender, then use the free version, and just run scans with it when you need to.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,200 Posts
One thing people need to understand is that no AV program will protect them from all threats, and that most of the major AV makes will offer good protection if you respect their limitations.

Your browsing habits will have much more influence on whether you contract an infection, than what AV program you use.

Over the many years I've been helping people to remove Malware from their machines, I've yet to help anyone who didn't have an AV program fitted. That does not mean that it's pointless in having one, since they severely limit your exposure to infection, only that none of them are impenetrable, and if you browse without care, then your actions will have consequences.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Windows Defender is plenty good and anything else or additional is overkill and uneeded.

In the past few years, I have seen zero actual viruses. Most of what I see as far as victimization is the result of naive people trusting what they see on the Internet or what is presented as solutions and falling for fake updates and sales pitches. No matter what AV you are using, if you leap blindly into a puddle of s**t, it's going to splash on you.

General guidelines:
  • Be wary of attachments even from known companies. UPS, FedEx, USPS, BBB, Paypal do not send "reports" using an attached zip files. Crooks however DO use zip files and disguize their emails to trick you into opening the zip and running the software.
  • Warnings encountered on the web ESPECIALLY those that include a phone number to call ARE TRICKS!. These are malicious popups and not real warnings. NEVER EVER CALL THE NUMBER. The popup usually can't be closed conventionally so use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to Task Manager and close the running browser processes (Firefox, Chrome, Edge). That will close the fake warning. When you reopen the browser again, it will ask you if you want to reopen the tabs that were open before the problem. Answer NO or you will have the same fake warning pop up to close.
  • Web pages that say you need to update this or that before you can do this or that should be scrutinized. This could be a trick.
  • Totally free software is rare. Often there is a catch by way of additional piggyback programs that can wreak havoc on a computer. Be on th elookout for unneeded programs even if the manufacturer is well known. An example is installing a common program called Adobe Reader. Two useless and unneeded items from McAfee are already checked as piggyback applicaitons. Abobe and McAfee are legit companies but in order to increase revenue, BOTH are teaming up to but garbage on your machine.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
As above: You've won a prize with 3 choices from which to select is another one.

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
FWIW, the support staff at Malwarebytes has a different opinion. FWIW, I've been running this way almost ever since Windows 10 came out, and it's never been an issue.

Currently Malwarebytes Premium has an option to determine whether or not it registers with the Windows Security Center/Action Center and if configured not to register, Windows Defender will remain active alongside Malwarebytes. Also, while the opinion expressed that two real-time anti-malware applications should not be run together is generally true, it is only true for running two on-access anti-malware applications; Malwarebytes has been deliberately engineered not to interfere with other anti-malware and anti-virus applications (including Windows Defender) because it works during different phases of the attack chain/kill chain, avoiding the phase during which traditional AV's like Windows Defender check items to determine if they are threats. This has proven most effective and we have a very large number of customers successfully running Malwarebytes Premium actively alongside Windows Defender and many other AV's, and in fact, I'm running Windows 7 and currently have both Malwarebytes Premium and Microsoft Security Essentials running together and there are no conflicts or issues between them with all protections active.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you really need Antivirus software for Windows 10? Is Windows Defender good enough? I have read mixed opinions on this. I heard that maybe just adding malwarebytes would be enough. Is it worth it to purchase the premium version?
I have been using defender for years have had no problems no other anti virus is needed as long as you keep it up to date, I think AVG is useless. As for Maiware that's a different story. There are many free versions available
But with a bit of common sense, you should be fine Don't open e mails from people you don't know.
Don't open offer's that look to good and be True
Careful what you down load onto your system and where you down load it from. Lots of malware piggyback's in on file you down load and deploy with out you knowing. .
Aps can have back doors allowing hackers into your system.
And last but not least keep window's up dated to the latest build.

·
Registered
65 Posts
NO, you don't need anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you really need Antivirus software for Windows 10? Is Windows Defender good enough? I have read mixed opinions on this. I heard that maybe just adding Malwarebytes would be enough. Is it worth it to purchase the premium version?
In my opinion, Windows Defender updated is more than enough, I think it is more important and safe, They are the places that you visit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts